Shop Storage Shed

Chestnut

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

The used railroad ties in the south end up pretty degraded . Guess what they are replacing them with ? Treated railroad ties ! New railroad ties might just last forever under a shed, but you need equipment or a small army to move new ties.

Odd up here they are going either all composite or concrete. Also the lifespan on ties is a LOT shorter than people think. I think the busy lines it's 15-20 years. I always thought it was a lot longer.

We grow big chunks of pine down here. But busy mainlines are getting concrete ties in certain areas. I saw how they use shredded recycled plastic that's rejected elsewhere & melted down into ties. Takes days for them to cool enough to be moved without distorting.

I built my shed on a slope... so I had to fill it.   I used PT 4x4's and built a frame about 3 boards deep, and then filled that with debris and gravel.  (by debris I mean we had a bunch of broken up concrete in the back yard to get rid of)  Then I set concrete blocks (those 4" solid blocks) level into the gravel, and built my 2x6 PT frame on top of that.   So there's good drainage around it, and that gravel is maybe 8" deep in there.

It's about 6 years old now and hasn't shifted through the winters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan G said:

I'm sure you are well within the load rating for that Ranger! :o

I might have exceeded it this time. I'm rated to carry about 1600 lbs if i got based of scaling the truck empty and the sticker on the door. I  estimate that i exceeded that by maybe 200 lbs. I only had to drive a couple miles at slow speed, there is no way i'd do this and go over 30 for a long distance.

I can picture the front end getting airborne going over a big bump !  I built several things in my yard using the old CCA (chromated copper arcenic) ground contact treated over 25 years ago. There is no signs of rot yet. I wonder how the new ACQ treatments that use copper will hold up in the long run? 

They still use the CCA  treatment in some commercial/ industrial/marine environments. I'm kinda glad the arcenic & chrome is gone from the residential uses. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So it's been a few weeks. I've still been working on the shed just slowly. It's spring so I have a lot of around the house and yard things to do.

Got the base set. I had to do a lot of digging. After the digging was done things went really quickly. I have 3 walls up. I wish i could be crazy and work on this non stop to see how fast i could get it done but i don't have that ability. Also dragging the project out makes it easier to stomach financially.

5af9ab5f3212f_38939413554235588593Faccount_id3D1.thumb.jpg.23fb19bc4ed0ccbef337a0a5111d2e78.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

... It's spring so I have a lot of around the house and yard things to do...

Nice! I hear you on the spring projects hoping to have most of those complete in the next couple weeks so I can get back to regular shop time.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Nice! I hear you on the spring projects hoping to have most of those complete in the next couple weeks so I can get back to regular shop time.

Yeah i want get a couple trees planted so when the ash trees die there is something nearby that is somewhat established that will take over. We have one that shades our main floor really nice and when we lose that the cooling bill is going to get considerably more expensive.

Have any good advice on where to buy?

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah i want get a couple trees planted so when the ash trees die there is something nearby that is somewhat established that will take over. We have one that shades our main floor really nice and when we lose that the cooling bill is going to get considerably more expensive.

Bummer about the Ash trees! I have 5 acres of oaks with oak wilt so I feel your pain. I haven't bought a ton but the half dozen or so I have purchased I picked up at Rum River Tree Farm in Oak Grove.

Got the front wall in place, and some sheeting up. A friend of mine needed some help with a retaining wall so i got him to help me get some shed building done.

photo4902679759813715943.thumb.jpg.827df3d75ec38d9583a080fc520c56eb.jpg

If some of the studs don't look strait it's because they aren't Apparently i had a difficult time knowing which side of my stud line i needed to place the stud on so some are skewed.

I started working on the attic floor yesterday. I cut all the ceiling joists to length using my track saw again. Man I'll probably never use a miter saw for framing type carpentry work again. I took a picture before and after so you can see how much dust is captured by the TSC with the dust bag.

photo4904743693462906925.thumb.jpg.3799710e9085f5fbb2150bf3f2526ca5.jpg

photo4904743693462906924.thumb.jpg.a20b82faf1ccabaeff095df36fe20b66.jpg

I did end up stalling the saw on this cut when i tried to get the saw to cut as fast as i could push. If it didn't have a plywood blade on it this thing would be a monster. This was all the further i got. After this i went downtown to visit my aunt and uncle that just moved into a high rise off of Nicollet Mall. You can see Bird Death stadium on the right hand side of the picture.

photo4907188564941449272.thumb.jpg.4f33af0245d6988e1f5fc5ee408dd752.jpg

When i got home i wanted to work more on the shed but then realized that i need to get a tree planted before it just died in a pot.

photo4907188564941449271.thumb.jpg.32471fd8a6398726d1bc5b5f880fab09.jpg

• Like 2

Good progress .

Didn't know about the stadium issue until you mentioned it. They were warned and used plain glass anyway. Being in 3M's hometown that's stupidity bordering on arrogance.  I wish there was a nationwide ban on public money for professional sports stadiums. Doing it on the national level would preempt threats to move teams as financial blackmail.  

10 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Good progress .

Didn't know about the stadium issue until you mentioned it. They were warned and used plain glass anyway. Being in 3M's hometown that's stupidity bordering on arrogance.  I wish there was a nationwide ban on public money for professional sports stadiums. Doing it on the national level would preempt threats to move teams as financial blackmail.  

I think it's embarrassing that they could easily and inexpensively do something but fail to do so. The small dots they have put on windows are proven to be effective and wouldn't be noticeable by humans.

I totally agree, it's also not like the spots team owners are hurting for money, just ask Mark Cuban. The other side of the coin is that the large spots complexes in a lot of areas get used for a LOT more than just the pro team. I don't know how it works in most cities but the sports arenas in my how-town and where i went to college were used dang near 16 hours a day, every day. Home shows, boat shows, conferences ect.

I got the attic access framed out and some of the ceiling joists in place. This is what i mentioned when i notched the studs. I'm using old balloon framing technique to essentially make the shed 2 stories. I'm going to call it 1.5 because there won't be enough room in the attic to stand but it will leave a lot of good storage room. My plan for getting up there is to just leave a ladder in the shed.

photo4909283010038310869.thumb.jpg.303bdaa949807cbd65e54a2e025e6d41.jpg

I threw all the 3/4" ply for the attic floor up there and I'll attach the rest pf the joists tonight or tomorrow night. My plan is to grab my festool track and that battery powered saw and cut the plywood to fit up there.

photo4909283010038310870.thumb.jpg.49de7d54e0684127a4edc8a28a68d0b8.jpg

I used 2x6s and they aren't strong enough for a whole lot of load but as long as i keep things to the walls i'm not worried. Each joist will hold 2 of me with minimal deflection so i should be safe storing up to 4,000 lbs up there which is a LOT of junk. Heck that's a lot of wood.

The view from the attic floor is awesome. My shed is built on the highest point in the area so standing on top i can see over the neighborhood. I'm for sure going to have to put a window on the gable end.

I don't know how I missed this thread, but am just now seeing it.   I'm glad you went with treated for the sills.  Railroad ties last good on top of ballast stone, but the creosote does leach out when in contact with the ground.  I used them to outline our Dressage arena, and in maybe 15 years they were splitting all to pieces, with no signs of the brown, creosote color left, but of course, they were out in the weather.

I'd double up that one second story floor joist that carries half the load of the one in front of it.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 7:03 AM, wdwerker said:

I wish there was a nationwide ban on public money for professional sports stadiums.

Amen!!!  The one owner that I know of that put a major portion of the money up for stadiums is Paul Allen the owner of the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers and if I remember correctly he paid for all of the Trailblazers arena. 

When I was a teenager, back in the '60's, one of my jobs was driving a half ton pickup the 25 miles to town, and come back with a load of 9 300 pound blocks of ice.  The front wheels touched the ground most of the time, but it's a good thing there was little traffic on the roads back then.   The back springs on that truck had to be replaced several times though.   Is the empty ride height still the same on that Ranger?

Before anyone is tempted to surpass the load rating of a trailer, please reconsider.  I've done it, to a very troublesome result, and see them sitting on the side of the road fairly often.  Trailer axles are rated to a max load for a reason.  If the axle sags past horizontal, not only do the hubs deflect upward, but the pull on the inside of the tires now, also deflects them to the back.  It doesn't work good like that for long, and often permanently ruins the axle for keeping tires, and bearing working for long, even with no load on  the trailer.   I see trailers on the road, all the time, that it's obvious they have been overloaded sometime during their life, because the axle now has a permanent bend in it, judging by how the tires are rolling from behind.  

On 5/14/2018 at 12:24 PM, Chestnut said:

You looking for saplings?   4' trees or bigger trees?   Fleet Farm has good prices on potted 4' trees.

4' or shorter is the best tree... those big ones they like to transplant they take out so much of the root system it takes years for them to recover.

We have a tree line along the back of our lot, and a number of trees died.   I think a few were elm, which doesn't surprise me.   The others were boxelder, which again is no surprise.

There's a couple black walnut tress in there, and a nice basswood.   The neighbors have some big white oaks in there yard.   So I've been looking to plant a few trees to add some more diversity.   Thinking maybe some sugar maple trees.   Maybe another hackberry, we've got a couple on the other side of the lot.   they ain't pretty, but they're very resilient.