Shop Storage Shed

Chestnut

9 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I'm in the looking at them right now. When do you take delivery?

Ahh hopefully soon but they quoted me end of August beginning of September. They still haven't announced the 2019s yet and haven't released pricing. If what the dealer tells me is accurate they finish production of the 2018s in June retool in July and start production of the 2019s in August. The pricing part makes me nervous with all these tariffs that have been flying around lately. I wish i could understand the reasoning behind them then maybe they wouldn't make me worry so dang much. I wish i could have paid up front as well.

I thnk the auto industry as a whole has changed, regardless of the tariffs. We ‘ve been searching for the recently purchased vehicle for my wife, for the last six months. Her vehicle so therefore her choice of colors, etc.. There were just none to be had and the dealer, with whom I’ve been buying my commercial vehicles from for 30 years said that if I ordered one, could not guarantee me a firm price, delivery date or trade in value for her car, until the new vehicle arrived. And I had to put up a deposit of approx 10%, non refundable, to order the vehicle. Luckily we found one to her liking in San Antonio, 200 miles away. Again, that was back in Dec., 2017, prior to POTUS suggested tariffs. 

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I thnk the auto industry as a whole has changed, regardless of the tariffs. We ‘ve been searching for the recently purchased vehicle for my wife, for the last six months. Her vehicle so therefore her choice of colors, etc.. There were just none to be had and the dealer, with whom I’ve been buying my commercial vehicles from for 30 years said that if I ordered one, could not guarantee me a firm price, delivery date or trade in value for her car, until the new vehicle arrived. And I had to put up a deposit of approx 10%, non refundable, to order the vehicle. Luckily we found one to her liking in San Antonio, 200 miles away. Again, that was back in Dec., 2017, prior to POTUS suggested tariffs. 

Just with them looming I'm worried they might stick the tariff % on my order. I'm not blaming the tariffs on the pricing i think that's just how it is these days. It was the same with my Subaru when i ordered. I ended up ordering that one between model years and they said they couldn't guarantee  anything. For that car i didn't care i wanted it. They ended up being under MSRP by $2,500 so i was way more than happy.

10% down for an order is odd that's awfully high. My car was $500 and they waved it. This pickup was $1,000, and i don't blame them for not waving it. The setup is a bit odd for the region never mind the thousands of ford rangers running around 4 cyl 2wd.

8 hours ago, drzaius said:

Offcuts!

Oh man i should make a coffee table with hair pin legs where each piece of 2x4 is only 2" long. I have surprisingly few offcuts and the ones i have a lot of are short <2".

I ordered my truck before the dealer even knew how much it was going to cost them.   I had been following the development of the quiet diesel Duramax.  It ended up being no. 28 off the assembly line of when they first started building the Duramax/Allison trucks.  When the invoice showed up, the dealer, and all the salesmen in earshot were surprised that it came in so low.   I don't know if it was just because they were starting production, and there were some sort of incentives or not.  I just paid my money, and left smiling.  It was only 4k more than a gas burner 3/4 ton. 

Hopefully, you'll get the same pleasant surprise with the GMC.

47 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I ordered my truck before the dealer even knew how much it was going to cost them.   I had been following the development of the quiet diesel Duramax.  It ended up being no. 28 off the assembly line of when they first started building the Duramax/Allison trucks.  When the invoice showed up, the dealer, and all the salesmen in earshot were surprised that it came in so low.   I don't know if it was just because they were starting production, and there were some sort of incentives or not.  I just paid my money, and left smiling.  It was only 4k more than a gas burner 3/4 ton. 

Hopefully, you'll get the same pleasant surprise with the GMC.

Maybe 4 hours ago there was an advancement in the trade talks where Europe is proposing to remove duties on American cars to prevent US tariffs. Most of the automakers are up a few % in pre-market trading. This would be good news for both parties in my opinion.

I put my order in shortly after they started taking 2019 orders so my thought is I'll get one of the first 2019s but who knows how they fill orders. My Subaru was car # 662 of 16,000 they made that year.

I've always been shy about being an early adopter.  Recalls and higher initial costs come to mind. But before they figure out how to make it cheaper so it breaks often enough so they can sell parts & service. 

Toyotas used to last a very long time but cost more initially. Then they cut quality & price to stay competitive......

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I guess ladders are okay for a young man.   If you were closer, I could have loaned you some Alum-a-pole scaffolding.   Having a comfortable place to work (always a priority, with no exceptions) makes it easy to do good work.

Man i'd love to have some of that stuff. Some times i put a board between ladders. Probably frowned upon these days but it works really well. The ends of the shed are to tall to make that work though.

Drew, why are you not putting tar paper or tyvek between the sheathing and the siding? Also, I’ve found it easier (I don’t know about better), to put the vertical trim boards on top of the siding instead of butting the siding up to them. Although I think the instructions say to butt them, for some reason. Hey, this thing is looking good bud! 

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Drew, why are you not putting tar paper or tyvek between the sheathing and the siding? Also, I’ve found it easier (I don’t know about better), to put the vertical trim boards on top of the siding instead of butting the siding up to them. Although I think the instructions say to butt them, for some reason. Hey, this thing is looking good bud! 

No i'm not doing any house wrap or tar paper behind. I'll never insulate or finish the inside walls so i figure any water that gets through the siding should dry. There is a TON of ventilation inside. I am sealing the windows and the gaps though. We'll see if it becomes a problem. I can see all the sheeting from the inside. If i remember right my dad has 2 sheds neither of them have any wrap behind the siding.

As far as the butting of the siding. I'm going to lay the F chanel over top of the siding to cover up the ends so if they aren't perfect perfect it won't show. I need to be pretty acurate still though there isn't much slop room.

1 hour ago, Tpt life said:

Oh man, Drew I have seen a ton of water condensate on the back of that style siding. A breathable barrier would be a good idea on any walls you have not already sided. 

It's not fiber cement siding. Also if i recall correctly the breathable barriers are just that breathable .... they generally let some moisture through and there have been a lot of debates about that stuff.... hence i didn't use it. This is just fiber lap siding so if water condensates on the back of it i'm in big trouble cause the stuff is a sponge.... no housewrap what so ever is going to stop that.

38 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

I did not spout theory. I only bring you experience. Cladding is my strength. 

Oh not debating house wrap but fiber cement siding. If water condensates on the back of this siding how will house wrap help because the siding is a wood product. The siding can't withstand as much moisture as the sheathing.

• 2 weeks later...

Siding is done! Now I'm going to paint all weekend. The color we got is what we want to test for a future house color.

The nice guy at Sherwin Williams also gave me a gallon of all surface enemal. Said it'd be great for a shed floor. Never knew they gave away miss tints

0725181927_HDR-01.jpeg

• Like 2

I just picked up 2 gallons of pre cat waterbourne lacquer that I had tinted to match a clients trim color. He got distracted when tinting one gallon and added the yellow tint twice. He gave it to me for free to use as a base coat. He said they would have to pay to dispose of it otherwise.