Arched bookcases and Fireplace surround w mantle.

wdwerker

The general public has no idea of the work involved and the time it takes to properly make the joints. If you tell them the hours required just to complete the arch, they can't see it. I see it and I appreciate the effort and time it takes to do it right...

• Like 2

??? PNT ??? I used a hodgepodge of clamps because length & handles kept running into each other. I've got a few things from HF but clamps ain't one of em. Northern Tool has a small selection of Bessey  "F" clamps & the auto adjust toggle clamps for just under $19 each. Best price I've seen them at. Every shop should have a pair of those Bessey toggle clamps, awesome on all sorts of jigs !

Rick is an old friend and former neighbor that helps out from time to time.

The time envolved caught me off guarg on this one. Should have bought a finger joint bit in hindsight. Luckily the big arch gets backed up by the plywood the big TV mounts too so those 4 joints won't get flexed after its mounted. The small arches only have 2 joints.

• 2 weeks later...

I learn a lot from you Steve. Thank you! I wonder with your good vision and experience did you anticipate all of these necessary and exotic efforts to complete this task? And then to calculate how long it will take. It is one very special thing to complete the task you are on. But on top of that to determine the steps involved and predicting how much time you will take in my eyes may be harder than the actual project, as tough a challenge that it is. Do you ever ask the client for time and material for these kind of projects?

I am enjoying this project. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I had a totally different approach in mind when I quoted the job. Then I figured out it wouldn't work. The little details are eating up the budget but it's about time to knock out the big casework and go after the finishing. Thanks for the kind words ! I will take pictures of the long sharp pointed miter process today.    I had to figure it out 20+ years ago to wrap exposed roof trusses in a skylight shaft. 1/4 Mahogany ply and a cap molding I set up and made seemed like a good idea until cutting this joint was a reality.

IMG_1329.thumb.JPG.c4b9e0efc47496d5a0093145d41fc378.JPG

• Like 2

Got the arch frame assembled and skinned the inside with wiggle wood (Italian poplar  3/8 bending ply) . Glue & nails plus clamps wherever possible.

IMG_2982.thumb.JPG.99f8e82c9dcd3985990257e9e4e8e9fb.JPG

Knocked this one together and hauled it out of there to beat the traffic. Already have all the parts cut for the second one. That can wait till Monday for assembly.  I've got a date with a redhead to get ready for. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Got the arch frame assembled and skinned the inside with wiggle wood (Italian poplar  3/8 bending ply) . Glue & nails plus clamps wherever possible.

IMG_2982.thumb.JPG.99f8e82c9dcd3985990257e9e4e8e9fb.JPG

Knocked this one together and hauled it out of there to beat the traffic. Already have all the parts cut for the second one. That can wait till Monday for assembly.  I've got a date with a redhead to get ready for. 

Got to get that chain mail underwear in place, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1