Arched bookcases and Fireplace surround w mantle.

wdwerker

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leftover cherry cove molding from a job almost 20 years ago. It was finished and I had space in the rack so it didn't get trashed. That's why I was freaking out about making too many mis-cuts . Almost impossible to find an exact match. Same supplier still offers it but the knives get sharpened and the profile can alter slightly. That would force me to recut all of the pieces. I will take a closeup of my repair next week. It was Friday afternoon, 95 degrees in the shop and I was drenched in sweat. 

Paint is almost a misnomer on this job. I'm using the same pre-cat waterbourne that I normally use, but this will be tinted to match a medium greenish gray paint chip. The results will be closer to lacquer. 

It looks like I expected it to look, which is top notch!

I used a miter trimmer for a long time, but after I bought the Shooting Plane, I sold it.   A plane blade is a lot easier to sharpen than the big Lion Trimmer blades, but fortunately,  neither needs it very often.

• Like 1

It all look beautiful. Then you add that cherry cove and it makes the piece amazing. 

A very long time ago I made some big cove like that and did it on a table saw. I clamped a diagonal on the saw top. Then in very small increments raise the saw blade and run the stock along the clamped straight edge. The more you raised it, it needed smaller  raises as the work progressed. I won't do that again but it did work. If I needed it today I'd pay to have it made or order it if available.

I may have missed it, but why go through the trouble of mitering and gluing so many pieces of trim versus constructing those pieces like a typical frame and panel with a coped profile? Maybe your process for measuring and mitering is faster than I am imagining. 

Looking forward to to seeing this thing installed with paint on it.