Arched bookcases and Fireplace surround w mantle.

wdwerker

The open areas in several places would expose the panel groove. I tried to figure a way to transition between a profile with and without the groove. So I set up the upper cutter & bearing without the grooving blade/bit in the router table and profiled 2 sides of a 12' & 10' board, ripped those off and repeated to make the trim. The same bit set up in a portable router used the bearing riding on my 1/2" MDF templates to profile both edges of the arches.

Thanks, we will be back on it Thursday. Had to pause and run a batch of shelves for my biggest client.

I got a call that my color matched finish was ready but they forgot to check the expiration date on the cans. The finish I have used for many years is a pre-catalysed waterbourne. It's easy to use and has a 1year shelf life, unfortunately all the cans they had on the shelf expired in April. After it expires the drying time is much longer and it is a much softer film.  When the catalyst works it produces a very tough finish that works well even on tables & counters. At least he checked the expiration dates before I came to pick it up. 

• Like 1

Finally got the large 5" maple crown installed ! I learned that large thick crown is a bear to cut & install. I had to rework the support framework.  Not going to ever use that approach again. 

IMG_3023.thumb.JPG.59f7b4f8e64ab88438e74237656eca9c.JPGIMG_3024.thumb.JPG.ab19faee212c3e5e699a2eca2b3e7c66.JPG

Kinda glad it's getting painted.  Joints could have been better but the crown was so stiff and had slight bows & twists that complicated closing the gaps. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Looking great Steve! What paint will you be using? We just had our cabinets painted and they used SW ProClassic. The finish is fantastic but even with the kitchen area sealed off with plastic, the smell was unbearable for 3-4 days and gosh awful for 2 weeks to follow. 

M L Campbell Agualente  pre-catalysed (it's sort of a water bourne lacquer) comes in clear and a tintable white base. A clear sanding sealer and a white primer dries fast and sands easily after an hour or so. Smell is kinda like windex . You would want plenty of masking, plastic and a fan in the widow to spray it in a kitchen. You can touch up with a foam brush but it's meant to be sprayed. I've got a tiny spray gun just for touch ups that runs on 10 PSI.

The catalysed finish is tough as hell. You can actually buff it with a white abrasive pad to get a semigloss if you spray satin. A grey pad  then a white pad will smooth out a scuffed finish. Only drawback is $68 a gallon off the shelf or $78 for color matched/custom tinted. My supplier has a guy that can match paint colors and stain colors too.