Planer replaced

collinb

Found a reasonable price on a used DW735. Roars like a jet engine and has the exhaust to match. Just add humidity to create a vapor trail ...

Anyway, it just needs a little TLC. Came with an extra set of blades.

I did a test with it on slow and I couldn't see any sign of the washboard that went with the 2-blade Delta that I just parted with. Pretty smooth. And the coming tune-up will make it even better. (there is some build-up on the back edge of the cutters. Not corrosion. Feels more like wood residue from being left sitting around for 6 months after its last use.) It's missing at least one blade screw. Looks like my next week is all mapped out. Have to build a new cut-out in my planer table to allow this one to fit where the Delta used to sit.

dw735.jpg

dw735_2.jpg

dw735_3.jpg

2 minutes ago, RichardA said:

That's a good price Collin.  Whenever you need new blades, don't buy the DeWalt blades, go to infinity tools and get a much better set of blades.

I was happy with it. But I'm debating blades: The almost $200 carbides or an almost $400 helical? I have an extra new set so the decision can be put off for probably a year.

I've been on the market for one a DW735 for a bit now, and have been trolling the usual places. The lowest price I've seen for a very heavily used one was $50 off retail pricing. The highest was $70 above retail for a "gently used" one, with 3 "gently gouged" blades, and a completely destroyed exhaust shroud...

25 minutes ago, collinb said:

I was happy with it. But I'm debating blades: The almost $200 carbides or an almost $400 helical? I have an extra new set so the decision can be put off for probably a year.

If you're set on not going normal high quality hss, at that point, I'd do the inserts head. There are very few things that irritate me more than a kick in a planer blade.

2 minutes ago, mat60 said:

If I didn't have a drum sander a kick in a blade would irritate me more. What stinks for me is a deep chip in my stock.

Got the drum sander, still ticks me off. I don't want to have to go to another machine in the milling flow. 

Jointer knives kicked are worse to me. Easier on my machine to offset but Having to scrape out a bump before laying that face on the planer bed. Again, another step that shouldn't be needed. I don't enjoy the milling steps. I want it done and ready to actually start building. 

While a planer & jointer have been on my wish list, it hasn't been in the budget (ideally, I would have loved a Jet JJP-10HH, but at $3,500 it is well out reach at the present).  I often scan Craigslist (via searchtempest.com) and Facebook Marketplace, as well as various forums in search of a bargain, and while they can be few and sometimes far between, occasional gems do pop up.  Diligence can be a friend in this.

Last Monday evening I saw a forum post for a Dewalt DW735 package with the extra blades and the extension tables for $450, first available via Ebay and shortly thereafter via Amazon (which evidently lowered their prices to match the Ebay listing).  After conferring with my Chief Financial Officer (and wonderful spouse), I ordered one from Amazon just after midnight on Tuesday at the $450 price.  By Tuesday afternoon, the Amazon price was back up to $599.99 (today it is listed at $579.99), and the Ebay offering has ended because the item is no longer available.

Of course, the companion to a planer is a jointer and while you can find many 6" jointers, larger ones can be more difficult to come by.  Interestingly, I found a well cared for three year old 8" Grizzly G0490 Parallelogram Bed Jointer listed for $800 on Facebook.  The posting was less than a day old and after a one hour drive, I picked it up last night for $750 (new price is $1,145 shipped and they are presently backordered).  

Ideally I would like to upgrade each to Helical Heads at some point, but for the price point I made my purchases, I have my foot in the door at a reasonable cost and can begin work in areas that wasn't possible before.

There is disappointment to be found in bargain hunting too and after coming in from a tree planting (I have a 103 acre tree farm), I found a new Facebook Marketplace listing for an almost new Jet Dust Collector (with the canister filter) and a picture of a Jet Dust Filtration Unit (the ceiling mounted type) in a box listed for $150 and located about half an hour from me.  Upon contacting the seller, someone else had already jumped on it and while she gave me the opportunity to get it if they didn't take it, they gobbled it up.  I'm still kicking my bottom over that lost opportunity, but it has increased my faith in the possibilities that are available.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Battle Ridge said:

While a planer & jointer have been on my wish list, it hasn't been in the budget (ideally, I would have loved a Jet JJP-10HH, but at $3,500 it is well out reach at the present).  I often scan Craigslist (via searchtempest.com) and Facebook Marketplace, as well as various forums in search of a bargain, and while they can be few and sometimes far between, occasional gems do pop up.  Diligence can be a friend in this.

Last Monday evening I saw a forum post for a Dewalt DW735 package with the extra blades and the extension tables for $450, first available via Ebay and shortly thereafter via Amazon (which evidently lowered their prices to match the Ebay listing).  After conferring with my Chief Financial Officer (and wonderful spouse), I ordered one from Amazon just after midnight on Tuesday at the $450 price.  By Tuesday afternoon, the Amazon price was back up to $599.99 (today it is listed at $579.99), and the Ebay offering has ended because the item is no longer available.

Of course, the companion to a planer is a jointer and while you can find many 6" jointers, larger ones can be more difficult to come by.  Interestingly, I found a well cared for three year old 8" Grizzly G0490 Parallelogram Bed Jointer listed for $800 on Facebook.  The posting was less than a day old and after a one hour drive, I picked it up last night for $750 (new price is $1,145 shipped and they are presently backordered).  

Ideally I would like to upgrade each to Helical Heads at some point, but for the price point I made my purchases, I have my foot in the door at a reasonable cost and can begin work in areas that wasn't possible before.

There is disappointment to be found in bargain hunting too and after coming in from a tree planting (I have a 103 acre tree farm), I found a new Facebook Marketplace listing for an almost new Jet Dust Collector (with the canister filter) and a picture of a Jet Dust Filtration Unit (the ceiling mounted type) in a box listed for $150 and located about half an hour from me.  Upon contacting the seller, someone else had already jumped on it and while she gave me the opportunity to get it if they didn't take it, they gobbled it up.  I'm still kicking my bottom over that lost opportunity, but it has increased my faith in the possibilities that are available.  

Some good finds.  I scan all the time on craigslist and FB marketplace.  Slim pickings in my area.  Of course what can you expect in a city that does not even have a hardwood dealer (we do have 1 but only open upon request and even then in my experience are never open). I have seen one old 1/2 HP craftsman dust collector in 3 years here, thats it.  

6 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Some good finds.  I scan all the time on craigslist and FB marketplace.  Slim pickings in my area.  Of course what can you expect in a city that does not even have a hardwood dealer (we do have 1 but only open upon request and even then in my experience are never open). I have seen one old 1/2 HP craftsman dust collector in 3 years here, thats it.  

Might be time to open a store. Be the only one in your region.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Collin, I recently had to destroy a blade screw in my 735 to remove it. I was able to find a SS replacement at my local big blue store, but it is philips drive, not hex.

I too had to buy a replacement and found it locally. In fact I bought six of them, with the hex so, Collin, if you’re not able to find a replacement, and I suggest you do, pm me and I’ll mail you one. Congrats on the new toy. It may sound and blow like a 737 but it’s a workhorse like one too. 

Probably the only think I don't currently like about the planer ...

Previous owner(s) didn't clear sawdust out of hex head bolts before attempting removal.

The heads got a smooth edge. Hard to remove even after clean sawdust out with a brass wire bush. Have to replace a few.

Alas.

So I order an extra set of bolts and this set comes with a new handle/driver.

(If you like me purchase a used DW735, this is important.)

The new nuts and driver are Torx. The old was Allen. But, the new nuts will take the Allen (as long as the nut head is clean.) But stick with the Torx for the best fitment.

Yet, the cover bolts remain Allen. As a result you should also order new cover bolts to match the blade bolts -- if you want to keep just one driver on hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Lowes was recently at $549.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

Lowes was recently at $549.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It looks like the price of $549 for a Dewalt DW735X (with the extra blade set and extension tables) is good through 6/14/2018.  Additionally, if you are a veteran (which I am), the 10% discount drops the price to $494.  I was lucky enough to snag one during the short time price drop to $450 on Amazon, but the Lowe's price isn't bad at all.

• Like 1