Air Compressor

I found the pancake model that I had to be a total fail.  If I were to list it's faults, it would be a long list.  Other models may be better, but I think most shops will find a need for a bigger better compressor.

I have been much happier with my California Air Tools 10020C.  It is quiet and works flawlessly.  I have it set up to run only when the lights are on in the shop.  If anything I'd go bigger, but it is a pretty nice compressor for a small shop.

Well the specs say...

<snip>MRC6-U 6 litre compressor ... 96 seconds to pressurize  ... can power up to 30 brad nailer shots per minute....Bostitch SB-2IN1 Air 18 Gauge Combo Brad Nailer/Finish Stapler air consumption 0.73 Ltr.per shot...<>

If you are a homeowner/hobbyist and just need it to install some crown molding/baseboard and to use it in your shop on occasion this kit should work fine.  If you are thinking about using this all day everyday over a long time period then it's probably not the machine you need.   

On 6/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, Tpt life said:

I would not get that pancake. They are noisy as a bawling calf. I have been more pleased with the bigger brother of this model. This model is also in that sub $100 range  

California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYHYHEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jXehBbKB5MQVD

+1 vote for California Air Tools (which I hate to say, coming from Texas).  I like the quietness (it's not silent but not a huge beating like the cheaper compressors) and the aluminum tanks (rust free).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2018 at 5:12 AM, Tpt life said:

This is completely dependent on design and makes your statement conditionally accurate. The California Air and Rolair both have oil free designs that are supremely quiet and not short lived. I own CA, Mick owns R...trust us or don’t. Just know these are a different style of operation. 

EDIT: I don’t propose these for continuous use. I am specifically recommending this for the uses mentioned. I don’t roof or frame with my CA except on my own house on my own. I air tires, blow dust out of tools, and run trim all over with it.

I am fairly lazy and leave my California Air compressor on full time.  It fills as it needs it.  Hobby shop here - not pro.  So far so good.

13 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

I am fairly lazy and leave my California Air compressor on full time.  It fills as it needs it.  Hobby shop here - not pro.  So far so good.

Reading my comment you quoted, I spoke badly. Continuous duty rating is what I meant. Our shingle compressor runs three guns, but is running the entire time we are all three gunning. My little guy at home needs to rest half the time to stay cool. 

Air compressors do vary in price and level of delivery.  5hp 60 gallon  240/220v is my main shop supply, 1.5 hp vertical pancake is my home shop trim/ tires/ utility compressor and 1 hp sausage tank is my jobsite compressor for installing trim around the custom cabinets I build. Surprisingly the little jobsite compressor also is the most active at the shop running my 23 guage micropin gun. Spray guns and air drills gobble up air at an astonishing rate, that's what the 5 hp is for. Just running the 23 guage micropin gun the tiny compressor rarely runs more than a few minutes. So somewhere in the middle is the most practical depending on your needs.