Veritas Low Angle Block Plane

Steve B Anderson

Thanks Rob but I don’t think your staff made any mistakes. They probably checked the replacement plane and determined that the plane was good with just a small gap and in all reality it is good.

If anything, please thank your customer service reps on the way they handled the replacement. They were very professional and a pleasure to work with.

49 minutes ago, Rob Lee said:

Hi -

Been working for Lee Valley for more than 40 years now.....!

My first internet post was sometime before 1995.... long before  web browsers, on usenet group rec.woodworking.

Today - there are so many different boards/groups I lose track of them all. I am always open to participating when asked, and am pleased to answer any questions people may have publicly, or in private. I can always be reached directly by email at rlee@leevalley.com .

Cheers -

Rob

Mr. Lee, always modest, and a first class gentleman with a first class company!

• 1 month later...

I have several tools from LV and they are a good value for the dollar. But if you buy from a retailer (WC for example) they won’t honor offers on their own website.

Example, dovetails saws. I bought one from WC and LV offers the other two for a discount. But... I didn’t buy direct from LV even though I sent them a receipt. Therefore the offer was null to me. Just so you know...

Turned into a sale for Lie-Nielsen. 

• 2 weeks later...

This was an educational and good thread. And certainly not the first time a machinist expected metal working tolerances in a woodworking tool. 

The Gap he noticed won't affect the planes performance but I can understand him wanting it to be perfect. Also very interesting to see how LV handled the issue and it ensures that I'll continue to give them business.

See, I have ordered a few things from Lee Valley Veritas but always groaned about price... not anymore. First class act right here. On both sides really but I can say now that if this is the level of customer service I can expect from Lee Valley... someone find my credit card and let’s pick out some toys!!!!! 

• 3 months later...

I have also had positive interaction with the Lee Valley customer service department in the past but wanted to share my most recent exchange.  About three years ago I was working on a project that required odd or in-between sized brad point bits that I did not own at the time.  I decided that I might as well purchase a nice set that would last me a long time as a hobbyist and the Veritas 28 piece HSS set fit the bill so I went with them.   

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and a project called for a size from the set that I had not yet used.  This is when I noticed that I had received two duplicate sizes within the set.  Obviously, I should have checked each bit when I received the set but have never had this issue before and hindsight is always 20/20. 

I sent an email to Lee Valley customer service on New Year’s Day and received a response first thing January 2nd.  The response included an apology and that they would be shipping me the two correct sizes at no charge.  They also asked that I keep the two incorrect sizes.  The new bits arrived a couple days ago as promised. 

I understand it’s only about $15 worth of tooling but even the little things can keep customers happy.  The Lee Valley free shipping promotions have cost me a good chunk of change over the years but I will continue doing business with them because they have always been a pleasure to deal with. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...