Veritas Low Angle Block Plane

Steve B Anderson

I just purchased a new Veritas low angle block plane to replace a Stanley that was out of square and flatness that it would have taken a professional grind shop to fix.

I have been reading here and other forums that Veritas is one of the best you can purchase. I took the plunge and paid for the Veritas and upon receiving the plane, I put my square to it and it is no better than the Stanley.

The sides are not square with the sole and the sole is convex by about 1/64”. So my question is, should I request a replacement or is this the quality to expect from Veritas these days?

Thanks in advance for your input 

Steve

Call them.   They'll replace it.  Cast iron does sometime warp after some time passes.  It could have been machined perfectly, but had some stress in it that releases some time later.  Machine manufacturers used to leave castings laying outside for a year or more before they machined it, but I doubt many do that any more.  I can't think of anyone that stands behind their products more than Lee Valley.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Call them.   They'll replace it.  Cast iron does sometime warp after some time passes.  It could have been machined perfectly, but had some stress in it that releases some time later.  Machine manufacturers used to leave castings laying outside for a year or more before they machined it, but I doubt many do that any more.  I can't think of anyone that stands behind their products more than Lee Valley.

Thanks Tom - I’m a Machinist by trade and  when someone says (Precision Ground) I expect perfection. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks again - Steve

Sorry for your misfortune Steve. I bought  this plane two years ago and ordered the wood front knob (I know, not the right word) and the threads were striped. I talked to a Veritas guy in Amana last year and he said, definitely let them know. I made a call and no exchange needed, they sent me a new knob. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: after speaking with their customer service department, they want me to send them photos of the square I used setting on a known flat surface and a photo of the square on the sole of the plane. I’m not getting a warm feeling from Lee Valley. I can see their point of view so I went through the trouble of documenting my square accuracy and the defect in their plane. Will update on the outcome.

I have had things replaced by Lee valley, I always send pictures in my email and they always replace right away and apologize for the incident. It sounds totally normal to me that they want a picture... There are people out there that don't know what is flat or square, and they don't know you're not one of them, yet :) They'll make it right, just send the pictures.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I expected no less.   Sorry you had some time wasted, but glad to hear you'll be getting a good one.

Thankfully no time lost here Tom. Even though I’m not on a professional schedule like yourself, I still plan weeks in advance. Just an old work habit I guess but it usually keeps me out of trouble. A few hours of upstream planning can save days when it comes time to exacuate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve B Anderson said:

Thanks - Seems everybody but me had confidence.

That’s understandable. Glad it all worked out for ya Steve. Now had you been from another state, other than Texas, it might not have been so smooth, just saying:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the exact same plane. Never subjected it to that level of inspection but it works better than all of my other planes. I'm not sure that applying machinist levels of accuracy is needed with most woodwork.  Is it that much work to flatten the sole from that point ?

Having said that an accurate straightedge gets used frequently in my shop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

I've got the exact same plane. Never subjected it to that level of inspection but it works better than all of my other planes. I'm not sure that applying machinist levels of accuracy is needed with most woodwork.  Is it that much work to flatten the sole from that point ?

Having said that an accurate straightedge gets used frequently in my shop.

It’s not so much that I can’t flatten it, it’s that I’m buying one of the best brands out there and I shouldn’t have to flatten it. Maybe I’m being too picky I don’t know.