Veritas Low Angle Block Plane

Steve B Anderson

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Anyplace near you carry Lie Nielson planes ? Take your straightedge & light and compare. 

I’m 1-1/2 hours from Houston. I might just fix this one and move on. I will contact Lee Vally again and express my dissatisfaction. I just feel like I’m accepting a Powermatic jointer with warped beds.

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I’m embarrassed. I looked at the first pic and couldn’t imagine which view of the plane you were showing. Now I see that it is your square that has the lettering and not the plane. No alcohol involved. 

One more and you’ll be all right Coop :blink:

I’m having a few myself 

• Haha 1

Steve check out Christopher Schwarz video on trouble shooting a bench plane.  He basically says not to check the sole of the plane with a straight edge looking up at a light, stating you will inherently see light under the straight edge.  He places the plane  gently upside down in a vice and uses a feeler gauge.  He states that 0.003” is plenty flat.  I have the same block plane so I will use an engineers square to see what mine is like.  I never checked any of my planes this way, just honed up the blade and they cut beautifully.  Not sure how much gap you would get using his method but the pic you shows looks greater than 0.003” but Chris states that the gap is magnified by the light reflection on the sole of the plane.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, Steve B Anderson said:

I guess we just had to get to know each other:rolleyes:

So true.  Certainly we are half of the equation when it comes to our customer service experience.  Glad you persevered and got them to see where you were coming from.  LV has never left me feeling like they didn't go the extra mile and that is over many years of being a customer.  Although they offer many things that I have no interest in, I shop them first for anything they carry that I use.

Thanks for the response Rob ! I've collected quite a few Veritas tools over the years and always had good results with them. It means a lot these days when a company steps up and does the right thing. 

I really appreciate the info and explanation about flatness on plane soles. I've got the same low angle block plane and thoroughly enjoy using it. I got it, tried it, it worked well and I try to keep it sharp. Just never thought to worry about the sole being flat unless I wasn't getting good results, then I would have started investigating.

Oh and Welcome to the Forum ! If you have time drop in and share your knowledge. 

• Like 1

No need to apologize Steve, I would have done the same thing if I put a straight edge on my planes and saw a gap!   I have been buying Veritas tools from Lee Valley for many years and have never been disappointed with their products or customer service.  I also never knew there was a “Rob Lee” of Lee Valley, very impressed with his response to this topic.

2 hours ago, Steve B Anderson said:

Thanks for the explanation Rob. I measured the gap and it is only a tight .003” and if a little hollow does not affect performance this plane is totally acceptable. I guess it’s the machinists in me that makes me expect perfection in everything.

I must say I’m a little embarrassed now for making a bid deal out of this and I sincerely apologize. I’ve always had good experiences with Lee Vally and I really appreciate your response to this as it shows again the high level of customer support Lee Vally is know for.

I want to apologize again and thank you for educating me on this.

Steve

Hi Steve -

The apology is ours. I'm always glad to participate in discussions like this - if no one asked questions - the rest of us wouldn't learn anything!

From my perspective - we should have got it right after the first issue. I will be reviewing our process with staff, recognizing that mistakes are how we learn, and get better.

Cheers -

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1