Closet Built In

..Kev

56 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I thought so. So you’re liking those pretty much, huh? 

Yes..  Once you get the have of them, they're great!

44 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Great job Kev, noticed the pellet stove running in the beginning, must be cool mornings in Montana!  On a unrelated note, what casters did you use on your Roubo Bench, just finished mine up and I think I want to be able to move it in the winter so I can get my car in the shop.

Yea, that particular morning was about 37 degrees so, was nice to pull the chill off until it warmed up a bit.

The casters are the Rockler flip down ones.  They do a really good job for rolling that beast around.  Note..  Mine is quite a bit heavier than a typical Roubo because my base is so much heavier and they still hold up well!

As for the cold, I still don't lose any shop time because I have that pellet stove!

Just watched all 3 vids! Great stuff so far!! Going to be watching and rewatching this quite a bit as a new closet built in is in the near future. 

Where did you order your edge banding? Quality stuff? 

Also what was that edge trimmer thing? Not the double cutter one, the other one. 

Cant wait for next video!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Just watched all 3 vids! Great stuff so far!! Going to be watching and rewatching this quite a bit as a new closet built in is in the near future. 

Where did you order your edge banding? Quality stuff? 

Also what was that edge trimmer thing? Not the double cutter one, the other one. 

Cant wait for next video!!

All the supplies were ordered off of Amazon.  No issues with the edge banding, I was happy with it..  Just wish I'd of ordered enough ;)

Here's a link to the trimmer - https://www.amazon.com/Lilys-Gift-Woodworking-Handle-Trimmer/dp/B01KV3Y7EK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532315101&sr=8-5&keywords=fastcap+trimmer

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Oh finally rememebered my other questions ...

how wide are the center drawers? I like the really wide drawer look on these. 

Is this going to sit on carpet? Or will you be ripping out to have it on the floor? 

Center drawers are 39.5" wide.

For now, it will sit on the carpet.  When the time comes to replace the flooring, I'll pull this unit out and then reinstall after.  I will remove the floor molding for the installation.

• Like 1

Kev, neat idea on the double back tape. I’ve fought with different ways of holding the drawer fronts in place but never thought about the obvious. Thanks also for including the shoe drawer dilemma and not just bypassing it off camera. It shows that we all come across obstacles regardless of how well planned a project was designed. Looking forward to your resolve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Kev, neat idea on the double back tape. I’ve fought with different ways of holding the drawer fronts in place but never thought about the obvious. Thanks also for including the shoe drawer dilemma and not just bypassing it off camera. It shows that we all come across obstacles regardless of how well planned a project was designed. Looking forward to your resolve. 

Not everything goes as planned or works out as intended.

Daaaang!! What a cliff hanger to end on haha. 

I really like the pull out drawer shoe shoe storage though!! I was struggling on how to store shoes in the built ins I’ve been drawing up. 

Next week should be fun to see what you ended up going with! Keep up the good work Kev! 

• Like 1

Kev-

This has been a great series of videos! Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Here is a link to download the full line of Blum undermount slides. Their true name is Blum Tandem plus Blumotion.

https://www.blum.com/file/tdmbmn_ep_dok_bus?country=us&language=en

The link above is direct to the download...here is one to their manual/video webpage

https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/runnersystems/tandem/downloads-videos/

I normally use the 563H.

In the manual you will find all of the dimensions needed to design and build your drawer boxes to accept the slides. Also you will find slides for all applications including wide drawers as Steve mentions above.

I have used in their "drawer front adjuster" in the past. It is on pages 39-40 of the catalog. Though it involves a bit more drilling, you can mount the drawer face with the 2 screws, close the drawer box and then shift it in the opening to where you want it. Then you add additional screws to hold the face. It saves using the double stick tape and having to peel it off later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bushwacked said:

Great stuff Kev!!! 

So if you were going to store clothes in it would you have finished the insides? It sounded like that is what you said at least ... 

those pulls look great on there! What are they? 

Did you cut into the baseboards or just sit it all butted up against it? 

Thanks..  Yes, I would have tossed some finish in there if I were storing clothes.  I may, and can, still go back and finish the drawers, we'll see.

The wife picked out and ordered the bar pulls off of Amazon.  They usually carry these at the big box store but my local ones didn't have any in black so, we ordered them.

Yes, the baseboards were cut to install the unit.

• Like 1

There's a couple more cabinets that go with this build..  For the most part, the builds are the same so, I was able to get it all into one video.  The only real difference is the tops on these which are solid.

This wraps up the closet built in project.  Let me know if there's questions.

• Like 1