Feeling stupid re LN102

Tony Wilkins

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

Like Nut said, there's no mouth adjustment or even lateral adjustment on that plane. However it's not possible to make it work with the blade upside down because there is a notch on the back of the blade, which locks to the depth adjustment knob.

Good point. I'd call LN i doubt you'll have asked even remotely close to the dumbest question they've heard and they'll be more than happy to help.

Play with the depth adjuster and which notch it mates with on the iron. I suspect the adjuster does not ride truly parallel to the patch of the iron, so you likely need to adjust it to hit a different notch (just noodling it seems further forward to steepen the angle.) I assume this is possible and the iron has several slots milled in it?

I have a LN block plane that, from the factory, had the edge of the iron contact the front of the mouth just as it started to extend past the sole. I was completely unusable. Fortunately it was a simple matter of using a file to open up the mouth just a bit.

6 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Play with the depth adjuster and which notch it mates with on the iron. I suspect the adjuster does not ride truly parallel to the patch of the iron, so you likely need to adjust it to hit a different notch (just noodling it seems further forward to steepen the angle.) I assume this is possible and the iron has several slots milled in it?

Unlike some Stanley block planes, LN's have a single notch on the blade, so no way he could do that.

• Like 1

I bought the Stanley version a while back used. When I got it, it had the same issue. I tried and tried to get it working, but couldn't figure out why that was happening. I stuck in in the back of a drawer, in pieces, because I was so frustrated with it. A couple weeks ago, I pulled it out and put it back together. Remarkably, it went together and works fine now! I have no idea what I did differently, I'm know I had tried everything I could imagine previously.

Sorry this doesn't help you at all, but I hope you get it figured out!

2 hours ago, Tony Wilkins said:

Yes, I believe you’re right - just not sure how I managed that with such a simple, straightforward mechanism.

Not picking. Just don’t see another way. I am not saying all of my assemblies were always correct. Maybe something as simple as a grain of sand.