Mahogany recipe box

treeslayer

Thanks, Incra miter gauge on the TS, it holds true once you set it but i check it a few times a year. 12 pieces to the top, 8 with 45 degree miters and 4 rectangle pieces, made bigger than it has to be then cut to size, 20 pieces total if you count the splines just on the lid. i've done a few boxes like this and i really like the effect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, treeslayer said:

i didn't want you guys to think i'm not doing anything, Mahogany with walnut splines, mitered pieces for the lid. i'm not sold on Mahogany, i don't know it just doesn't impress me much, not much grain and if i make another its going to be out of cherry i think. as usual comments or criticism are welcome, we're all friends here, thanks.IMG-1062.JPG.a4ef941137d810d193c48c4e1cbfa147.JPGIMG-1060.thumb.JPG.2992ade34ddbed020a43208281e54d86.JPG

Beautiful piece. 

I get you on mahogany. Some people don't like the lack of heavy grain. Personally, I think mahogany looks it's best when pore filled with black.  Give it a try on some scrap and I'll bet it catches your eye under finish.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, treeslayer said:

as usual comments or criticism are welcome, we're all friends here, thanks.

I guess a good analogy would be " Mom, you're the greatest; can I have some candy?" So, no criticism from me:rolleyes:!

Great looking box Dave. I really do like the way you handled the lid!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

Looks great.

What about QS Sycamore lumber for a box?

974FB4DE-F365-4793-98E4-F5EB6C9AC5A9.jpeg

As beautiful as QS Sycamore is. I don't think a whole box or much of any project could stand all QS Sycamore.  It's really better left for smaller pieces with another wood as the prime.  A QS Sycamore coffee table for instance would be overwhelming, but a drawer front on a walnut or cherry coffee table would work.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, treeslayer said:

i didn't want you guys to think i'm not doing anything, Mahogany with walnut splines, mitered pieces for the lid. i'm not sold on Mahogany, i don't know it just doesn't impress me much, not much grain and if i make another its going to be out of cherry i think. as usual comments or criticism are welcome, we're all friends here, thanks.IMG-1062.JPG.a4ef941137d810d193c48c4e1cbfa147.JPGIMG-1060.thumb.JPG.2992ade34ddbed020a43208281e54d86.JPG

Dave,  how did you do the lettering?