Mineral spirits to clean dust off cutting boards?

Eddie Wilson

New to the sport, so forgive me, but just made a few cutting boards. I used a wipe down of mineral spirits to remove all the dust and started to worry if this was a bad idea. Will an overnight evaporation clear all my concerns?

Can’t find a definitive answer on the internet. I plan on finishing the boards with Howard’s board oil and conditioner. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Router table with core box bits. 1/2” for juice groove and 3/4” for the inset handles. I used stops on the router fence to line things up. This works great for the handles but in the future I think I’ll use a template and a hand-held router for the juice groves so it can be one continuous route all around. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Yep, rag and air compressor is all I use. Nice work and welcome, template and router for the groove?

I have so much to learn :ph34r:! Template for each size board? Inside or outside? One of the reasons I’ve never put one in my cutting boards. And he has no burn marks on the cross grain? 

@K Cooper full disclosure, I got some light burn marks in the corners but they were easily sanded. I kept moving during routing, only stopping in the corners, hence the burn marks. 

If I did it again I would make a quick template from 3/4” plywood strips around the cutting board. I’d have to brace it against the board so it was perfectly centered inside the guide. Probably about the same time spent setting up and triple checking the fence stops and way cleaner since it would be a continuous route all around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Template for each size board? Inside or outside

i've never done it but i would use an inside template stuck on with double stick tape and a plunge router with a guide bushing and if i was going to make more that a couple i would standardize the size of the boards so i could re-use the template.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

i've never done it but i would use an inside template stuck on with double stick tape and a plunge router with a guide bushing and if i was going to make more that a couple i would standardize the size of the boards so i could re-use the template.

But my wood scraps are all different sizes! I've never really found juice grooves that helpful. They always seemed to fill up instantly and then didn't' really stop much. The ones pictured here are nice and deep and might change my mind.

10 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

On further investigation, I’m less worried about my light mineral spirits wipe down. Looking at General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish they actually recommend thinning it with mineral spirits. 

I was gonna say the same thing.  For most surface products a tiny bit of mineral spirits shouldn't matter.  Howard's is wav in minersl oil so that will be no problem.

One of the pluses of a mineral spirit wipe is it gives you a preview of how the finish will look and accentuates blemishes that may still need your attention.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I have so much to learn :ph34r:! Template for each size board? Inside or outside? One of the reasons I’ve never put one in my cutting boards. And he has no burn marks on the cross grain? 

The template for this could be a simple rectangle. When you get to the corner the guide bushing or bearing will just roll around it leaving slightly rounded corners.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 11/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, wtnhighlander said:

If they are soaked through with mineral spirits, it could tak a loooooong time to evaporate away. I don't think I would feel good about preparing food on them.

If he put a coat or two of shellac over them, would they be ok to use as cheese or vegetable trays where a knife blade wouldn’t come in coat with them?