Scrap wood step stool

SawDustB

Just now, K Cooper said:

That is really cool!!! Was she involved in the clamping in pic # 2?  :D

Yes... That's part of why there were so many on one of the frames. I let her tighten the C clamps, and by the time she was done the glue was setting up so it needed a little persuasion to seat the joints fully. ;) She also managed to squirt glue on the workbench and the floor when I had my back turned for a second. She decided we didn't have enough and went back to the bottle for more.

25 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

They make yellow glue that shows up in a UV / blacklight. You can wipe, scrape and sand checking with a UV LED flashlight until it is all gone. It works great ! 

She is so cute ! That stepstool can easily last the rest of her life. Make sure she signs and dates it. 

Well, I might have been a little more careful with the glue if we weren't painting it. I suspect it would look like a crime scene in my garage if we had that glue :P

I'll have to figure out how to have her sign it... She can't really write yet, although she could probably draw her initials for me.

42 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Looking good.    Its cool your daughter helps and Im glad her hands didn't get cut by the router bit also.

Me too. I usually shut off the breaker to the table saw, router table, and dust collector before I let the girls out there. Obviously I forgot this time.

On another note, what would be best for reinforcing the steps in the dados? Should I add a couple of screws on the steps, a couple of dowels, or does it matter? This is intended for my daughter who is around 35 lb, but my wife will inevitably stand on it too.

I'm on the fence about whether it needs anything. The top and bottom step probably don't, since they're attached to the cross members. It's only the middle one. I think you're right Drew, I'll just throw in a couple of dowels. If I use screws I'll have to plug them anyway.

• Like 1

Or treat it like a wooden ladder and add a tension rod just under the stair tread. Use acorn nuts on the ends of a threaded rod. A block in the center puts the force upwards and prevents the tread from loosening in the case sides. Brass nuts if left unfinished or paint steel ones. 

• Like 2