Don't Ask

Ronn W

34 minutes ago, JohnG said:

I got a free, almost brand new, high end Toro lawnmower because “the #!?*+{%# thing won’t start!” The owner threw it out of his truck and drove off. Opened the gas cap and it was empty. 

I was on the other side of that (blush.)  I brought in a chain saw that wouldn't start, at the beginning of the season.  

The tech immediately checked the fluid levels (what, did he think I was a dummy?!)

Then he pointed out that I had gas in the chain oil reservoir, and chain oil in the gas tank.

It started better when I got it back.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I was on the other side of that (blush.)  I brought in a chain saw that wouldn't start, at the beginning of the season.  

The tech immediately checked the fluid levels (what, did he think I was a dummy?!)

Then he pointed out that I had gas in the chain oil reservoir, and chain oil in the gas tank.

It started better when I got it back.

I can’t tell you how many times I saw people do the same thing (or at least one of the two of those). You’re not alone!

In 1975, I had sold my second house, and decided I wanted a bigger compressor so I didn't have to wait for the small one when using nail guns.  That was before the lake had amounted to much, so it was the end of the world out here.  There were two possible places in town to buy a commercial compressor-the only auto parts store, NAPA, and Sears.  The guy at NAPA told me to go to Sears.

The guy at Sears said that he hated to sell another commercial compressor because they had just sold one to a body shop, and it needed to come back for a warranty replacement.  They didn't have any way to go get it, and it had already been installed in the body shop.  I asked him how much he'd sell that one for where it was if I moved it, found the bad part, and put in for a warranty replacement for the part.  He thought for a bit and said, 200 dollars.  I paid him for it right there.

I came back with some help the next day.  The body shop owner had been in Boy Scouts with me, so we knew each other well.  He pointed me to where the compressor was.  He turned it on, it made a lot of noise, and I saw what the problem was.  We put it on my truck.

When we got it home, I put my foot on the tank, and bent the belt guard back in place with my hands, so that it didn't hit the pulley any more.

I'm still using that compressor, and have never done much to it but change the oil, and replace regulators.   I used it today, as a matter of fact.   It's a 5hp 2-stage on an 80 gallon tank.

• Like 2