Don't Ask

Ronn W

32 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

When you cut 3/4" walnut on a bandsaw with blade upside down, the resulting cut looks like it was done with a very hot spoke shave.  Don't ask.:wacko:

Funny you should mention this.  I worked 32 years as a meat cutte,r changing blades on our bandsaws on a daily basis and never once put the blade on upside down, but when I bought the band saw for my shop, first blade went on upside down.

Your right Ronn, they don't work very well that way. :lol:

Back in the 80's timeframe, my brother tried his hardest to drill a hole in a piece of wood using his brand-new state of the art cordless drill, with, with no success.  Another brother promptly called him an idiot and took the drill. to try himself..only to product more smoke.

The smart brother took the drill away from both of them...moved it from reverse to forward - and finished the task.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am in the fire protection business (for now) and the majority of our customers are restaurants that have automatic fire protection systems over their cooking appliances. These require semi-annual inspections. It is a given that each employee set one of these off once, accidentally as an indoctrination. But, only once. Ronn, congrats on lesson learned.

19 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

In case you were wondering, a backwards dado stack will still cut the dado... Or burn through it..

“This side out”!  I still have never figured out why the labeling on a ts blade is made on the wrong side;)

1 hour ago, Jfitz said:

Back in the 80's timeframe, my brother tried his hardest to drill a hole in a piece of wood using his brand-new state of the art cordless drill, with, with no success.  Another brother promptly called him an idiot and took the drill. to try himself..only to product more smoke.

The smart brother took the drill away from both of them...moved it from reverse to forward - and finished the task.

I have a set of left hand drill bits i keep around just in case i come across a know it all.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

My grandfather was caught off guard when using my fathers 1/2" chuck drill. The paddle bit he was using wouldn't cut so he looked closely at the bit and decided the bit was sharpened backwards. He resharpend it on the bench grinder and went back to drilling. Later he learned the drill was reversible, he had never seen a reversible drill before. 

What a great thread!

I once had a pair of skates sharpened by someone who had no clue what hollow grinding was (can't imagine what he thought when I requested a half inch wheel.)  When he gave them back he told me how much trouble it was to put a flat grind on them.  I lost about 1/4" of blade between that sharpening and the next one to put the hollow grind back on.

1 hour ago, Jfitz said:

Definitely "brother" dynamics!  Nobody offered the advice to reverse the drill, everyone wanted to take the drill and show how it's done! ;-)

8 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

What a great thread!

I once had a pair of skates sharpened by someone who had no clue what hollow grinding was (can't imagine what he thought when I requested a half inch wheel.)  When he gave them back he told me how much trouble it was to put a flat grind on them.  I lost about 1/4" of blade between that sharpening and the next one to put the hollow grind back on.

Had my skates sharpened once out of town and they did some goofy flat grind. After that i always carried 2 sets of spare blades with me when ever i traveled. Now my skates are out dated and all of my blade sets are sharpened out but i don't want to give up my skates. They were top of the line when i bought them but i can't really sharpen them any more either :(. Can't replace the comfort of 3 years of hard break in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I once did the same with a lawnmower.:lol:

I got a free, almost brand new, high end Toro lawnmower because “the #!?*+{%# thing won’t start!” The owner threw it out of his truck and drove off. Opened the gas cap and it was empty.