Bunk Bed Build

danbell78

Got a quick work session in last night and got the top and bottom rails for head and foot boards down to S3S.  Still a little clean up on a couple, but the dust collector was full and I didn't want to mess with that at the end of the night.  Started the night with an empty bag on the dust collector,  hour and a half, and 8 4ft rails later it was full!  

Last picture shows the long side rails, resting on the lumber rack.   

IMG_20181105_221747816.jpg

IMG_20181105_221806141.jpg

IMG_20181105_222019630.jpg

IMG_20181105_221917389.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, danbell78 said:

On the shellac first coat recommendation, I have a HVLP set up, but have never sprayed shellac.  Is it OK to spray shellac with a made shift spray booth and my furnace blower air filter set up?  or would you recommend brushing on that coat of shellac? Thanks

I generally spray my shellac just outside my garage on the driveway. Never have had any issues with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a full week off work and found some time to get into the shop.  Between deer hunting, Thanksgiving and daughters' birthday there wasn't nearly as much time as I had hope for, never is.  

Lots more milling and getting panels for the bookcase and desk ends of the bed.  This maple is really hard stuff and I have run a ton of it through the joiner and planer, and I am impressed with the Shelix heads.  You can feel a bit of a wave to the board, but they come out so smooth and it has handled the bits of gnarly grain very well.  I probably would have went through 2 sets of OEM blades on the planer for this material.  

Next is to add some shape to the top boards on the head and foot boards, then get the head and foot boards put together. 

Any reccomendations on bed hardware?  I have purchased these http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware/page.aspx?p=65401&cat=3,40842,43730&ap=1 for ease of use, but now I am seeing that I can't get the bed rails centered on my posts like I want with these (too thick on rails and too thin on posts).  Maybe I need to step up to these?  http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware/page.aspx?p=67916&cat=3,40842,43730&ap=1.  Then I get to figure out how to mortise these 75" long rails.

IMG_20181125_142751059.jpg

IMG_20181125_142743537.jpg

IMG_20181125_142833850.jpg

IMG_20181121_215939747.jpg

IMG_20181121_223807216.jpg

• Like 1

Switch gears from panels for the bookcase and desk sides back to the headboard and foot boards.  

I added some shape to the top rail in them, just to lighten things up a bit, going to be bulky enough.  Then got the joinery plunged in, using the Domino. 

Then I got all of the vertical slats for the head board and foot boards roughed out, just need to cut them to length and plunge a bunch of domino in those Some of these have some awesome grain, guess that's what you get when the slat all came from the off cuts from the bigger panels.  all the fun grain is around the knots and the twisty parts of the boards.  

IMG_20181203_215032488.jpg

IMG_20181203_215055660.jpg

IMG_20181203_215126092.jpg

IMG_20181203_215148881.jpg

IMG_20181203_220615005.jpg

IMG_20181203_220634077.jpg

+1 on spraying shellac. I love shellac, but will admit to having various problems with it in the past, mostly of the streaks and runs variety, because it just cures so fast, even if you cut it down a bit. Once I sprayed it, most of that went away. That being said, the dry time also makes it easy to do multiple coats in a very short period of time, so there are pluses and minuses. 

It is sort of a lost art at this point, but shellac can be used as a finish on its own. It does offer some positive qualities. First, it is extremely safe/non-toxic (the stuff was used for coating pills after all) and doesn't off-gas significant VOC and second, it is easily repaired as fresh coats dissolve and blend into underlying coats. One of the biggest concerns has to do with its susceptibility to damage from a hot mug (heat and moisture), but neither of those should really apply to this piece. 

26 minutes ago, Isaac said:

doesn't off-gas significant VOC .... One of the biggest concerns has to do with its susceptibility to damage from a hot mug (heat and moisture), but neither of those should really apply to this piece. 

It does off gas my closet smells fantastic every time i go to put away a par of shes on the rack i made and finished with just shellac. But yeah if you mix your own flakes and use pure alcohol breathing in the vapor is no different than drinking the ethyl alcohol.

I think the damage gets overplayed i took a heat gun to my bench to see how easily damaged it was and it really wasn't easily damaged. I spill hot coffee on my bench all the time and i can't tell. It's better there than the table saw. It's 100x more durable than just an oil or wax finish that has become trendy.

• Like 1

All the head/foot boards done, ready for finish.  

And I even have one thing that looks like a bed!  That will be the top bunk.  I need to shift focus a bit though and get finish on all of these parts so that I can put the beds to use over the Christmas break.  They won't be bunked, but should be fine setting on the floor for a bit while I finish the casework for the bunking.  

IMG_20181210_222417152.jpg

IMG_20181210_222441664.jpg

IMG_20181216_221446094.jpg

32 minutes ago, danbell78 said:

Last coat going on the rails.  Now I need to figure out how to rig up 4 head/foot board for spraying.

Last bed I did, I stood the end boards on painter's pyramids and sprayed them.   Hanging them would have been a better option but, that wasn't an option for me.

Looking great!