Table Saw! Powermatic vs. SawStop vs. your favorite!

Tobykanobe

52 minutes ago, drzaius said:

That "premium" fence is just terrible & I can't believe SS would offer it

When I was buying my SawStop I was looking at this fence on another model in the store and I thought it was a pretty mickey mouse way to reduce cost because it really wasn't very serviceable.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

That "premium" fence is just terrible & I can't believe SS would offer it on anything except maybe the job site saw. Not much stiffer than a wet noodle.

When I was saw shopping I had a real good look at the PM1000 & it sure seemed to me that the PCS was significantly better. The PM2000 is a very solid saw though.

That fence is what completely turned me off to a PCS. It doesn't address the largest danger from table saws which is kickback imo. Specifically where those pieces of wood are aimed at.

Maybe there shouldn't be any judgements based off floor models. To raise and lower the blade i just flick the handle and inertia is enough to go from down to up on my PM1000. Then flick the locking knob and it stays. The tilt is a tad stiffer but still smooth. I saw them as being the same. I'll give the nod to SS for dust collection though i can't complain about mine only time i get anything kicked out is when i'm not burring the blade in wood but i know SS is slightly ahead in that department.

My subjective complaint is the spring in the handle on the fence. I don't like it one bit. Also when disengaged it sticks strait out and I'd run into it all the time. The spring seems like it'd increase the change of bumping the knob and it fully disengages the lock. This is all subjective so my opinion. I know if functions flawlessly or it wouldn't be such a popular saw.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That fence is what completely turned me off to a PCS.

I don't know that many people actually get their saw with that fence. The upgrade cost of the T-glide fence is a pretty small percentage of the total cost. The T-glide is a very stout fence.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

I don't know that many people actually get their saw with that fence. The upgrade cost of the T-glide fence is a pretty small percentage of the total cost. The T-glide is a very stout fence.

When i was buying the 6" made a difference. Putting the longer rails on took the walk by space from 15" to 7". 61" vs 69" it was probably dumb to buy based off that shop but that's where i did work for 3 years. I could fit a larger saw now but what's done is done. I got my Pm1000 for $1700 so all in all i think it was a great investment. Some day I'll get a 3hp monster and turn the 1000 in to a dedicated dado saw.

• 2 months later...

Happy to report that my black Friday purchase of the Powermatic 2000B table saw arrived and I'm all wired up and ready to build!

Question, the saw came with a blade, but I would like to spend between $50 and $100 on a second blade for plywood.

Looking for a brand recommendation.  I see what's offered in Rockwell and Klingspor, but being that I'm unfamiliar with the topic of blade quality, thought I would ask the experts!

Thanks!

The saw came with a blade? Interesting my PM didn't.

Brands that are good that i have used are Freud and Forrest. I like my Freud specifically the Freud Industrial a hair better but both can be sharpened many times and last a long time. Leitz is another good brand. Also i think infinity tools  has a good blade selection.

What blade did it come with?

I recently bought a Freud Industrial Glue Line Rip blade (30t, full kerf). I was a bit nervous to go full kerf since I just have a job site saw, but it seams to cut with less effort than the Freud Diablo 40t thin kerf combo blade I had been using. My only complaint so far is that while it has the TCG teeth, it does not leave a perfectly flat bottom. It seems the flat teeth are just a hair shorter than the other teeth so it results in a tiny chamfer.

I just got a 3HP SawStop PCS and so far I love it. But here is the one thing that I didnt see coming right away - the safety feature is a blessing and a curse. 

On my 2nd day after assembling the saw, I picked up a piece of plywood and ran it through. It had wicked up some moisture, apparently, because in a fraction of a second, I was out 1 blade and 1 cartridge (the safety system fired). Now I am a little more careful to evaluate the pieces I put through it. 

Aside from that I have nothing but positives to say about. Very well made, nice machine. 

On 2/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, JohnG said:

What blade did it come with?

I recently bought a Freud Industrial Glue Line Rip blade (30t, full kerf). I was a bit nervous to go full kerf since I just have a job site saw, but it seams to cut with less effort than the Freud Diablo 40t thin kerf combo blade I had been using. My only complaint so far is that while it has the TCG teeth, it does not leave a perfectly flat bottom. It seems the flat teeth are just a hair shorter than the other teeth so it results in a tiny chamfer.

That's odd.  I have that blade and it leaves a true flat bottom as far as I can tell.  I'll inspect more closely next time, but I dont THINK I missed any bat ears.

56 minutes ago, drzaius said:

It's the Industrial Heavy Duty Rip 24 tooth blade (FTG) that leaves the perfectly flat groove. The Glue Line Rip (TCG) does not leave a flat bottom. It has alternating teeth with the corners chamfered so it leaves the bottom of the kerf with the corners not completely cut away. So, no bat ears, but more of a rounded bottom. I have both.

Wish I had known that before buying! Thanks for the info, maybe I’ll pick up a FTG blade soon. I figured the flat would be the same height as the chamfered teeth. Used it for splines on picture frames and it left a bit of a gap at the bottom. 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Chet said:

I have had this blade a long time with no complaints. https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Ultimate-Plywood-Melamine-LU80R010/dp/B0007WKBEQ

Keep it clean and it will serve you well.

I leave the thin kerf version of that on my saw 90% of the time.  It rips well enough in 3/4" stock, albeit a little slow.  

On 2/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, Tobykanobe said:

Happy to report that my black Friday purchase of the Powermatic 2000B table saw arrived and I'm all wired up and ready to build!

Congrats!!!!!  I don't have a PM but I do wish I could get some time using one to see how good it is. Looks like a solid machine, and should be awesome to use!

On 2/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, applejackson said:

I just got a 3HP SawStop PCS and so far I love it. But here is the one thing that I didnt see coming right away - the safety feature is a blessing and a curse. 

Congrats!  I have that same saw.....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, applejackson said:

Agreed. I went 36" because it seems to me I'd only ever use the 52" for cutting a full sheet of plywood exactly in half. And that's not something I do very often. 

I downsized as well when I went from my PM66 52" to the PCS 36". I found cutting down sheet stock with my track saw was easier than hulking it into the shop and up on the TS.

• Like 2

Ok guys, need some help here. I'm trying to order a Dado insert for that PM 2000b I just bought and hooked up.  I found it on amazon and found a returned one that gave me a little discount.  It arrives, and it's way bigger than the insert hole, I mean by like 3-4 inches.  So I go straight to my saw on the powermatic website and click on accessories and it shows the same "too big" insert.  What am I missing here?

What I have is 18" x 4.25".  The slot on  my saw is much smaller.