Workbench Build Ideas

Jonathan McCully

I’m a bit ahead of the game in starting this topic, as I have a couple of other projects in the line up before this one, but I’m hoping to build a woodworking bench next year. Right now, I just have a general purpose garage bench that was my first woodworking project 6 years ago, and now that I know what I’m wanting to do in this hobby (hybrid style work), I’m wanting to build a bench that will better support that work.  I’ve been following this guy on YouTube for awhile and like his work, but was curious about your thoughts on his bench.  I like the fact that it is hybrid and maybe a bit more versatile than a traditional Roubo bench.  Don’t think I’d paint the maple legs though.  What do you all think?

I know from my work bench and from what i've heard others say, storage under the bench needs to be increased modified or improved. A shaker style bench has a lot of the same stuff as the roubo but adds storage. If i ever make a roubo bench i'll make a storage cabinet that goes under it to store commonly used tools in because with out that the area under the bench is wasted space.

Not sure if a deadman is the most useful feature.

If you haven't yet read this, do yourself a favor and read this book;

https://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Revised-Design-Theory-Construction/dp/1440343128

I'm a believer of getting the most storage I can from any empty space, but the openness under a workbench is great for clamping work pieces to the top of the bench. If you fill the space with cabinets than you lose that option. 

Kev shows a great option, maintaining the openness yet adding some storage to a Roubo. 

• Like 1

Just looking a the video thumbnail, and not watching it, I see two things I would change. (ok, three)

1. Overhang one end only. Having legs flush at one end provides more vertical clamping options, and is especially useful when you don't have room for a 12' long bench.

2. Lose the deadman. The apron side should provide all the edge-up clamping surface you need. That would leave one side open for storage.

3. The full length apron is pointless with a thick, roubo-is top. I woud make the apron tenoned into the legs, set under the top but still flush with the edge. That leaves the overhang free to clamp stuff down on top, without going around to the other side. That gets old with a long bench.

I also like a slightly wider bench. Typically narrow benches are too hard to set a chair or stool up on. One leg always scoots off the edge and dumps it into the floor.

I don't really care if parts are painted, or not. You're going to beat the crap out of it, or you don't need it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

How does Kev clamp long boards on end without a deadman on that Roubo? 

Hold fast in the leg or T-track in the face.  However, I've found myself only rarely needing either.

Sorry, this was an older picture before those items were installed.  This is a picture of my OF table which is set up the same way..

DZ5N9U.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I made my bench 30" wide for that reason, and I can clamp a full sheet of ply to it and cut it with my track saw.  Oh and don't forget the paper roll for glue ups and finishing.

DSC_0220.JPG.4550c209cf52164051046f7a29eb9ada.JPG

Love the idea of adding width for breaking down sheet goods. Would be nice to do some of that off the floor, especially as I get older.  Does your bench have casters for movement?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan McCully said:

Love the idea of adding width for breaking down sheet goods. Would be nice to do some of that off the floor, especially as I get older.  Does your bench have casters for movement?

That picture was taken right after I had finished the bench.  I put casters on it because I wasn't sure of  how I wanted the bench oriented in my shop.  Once I had it placed where I wanted it I took the casters off.  I just turned 180 degrees  so I could look out a window while I was working.  When I made the bench I added an 6" wide apron on the back edge, you can kind of see it here.

dorrway.JPG.44778531dd1eed61e0aa720ce7089228.JPG

My intent was to make removable 18" long supports to make the bench a full 48" when cutting ply.  I still haven't made the supports, they are on my list of stuff to get done before the end of the year.

• Like 1

I built a Roubo using the guild plans, although I shrunk it to 6' and figured out my own vise hardware (to keep the cost down). If I had the space, I would have made it 8'. I love the design, although I would have likely done storage underneath like @..Kev if I was building again. Here is my bench in its current messy state:

20181114_085113.thumb.jpg.fd5e33554e8f4b59372f8fb1d79a2634.jpg

I personally like the sliding dead man. I use it with wide boards for working on the end (dove tails) and sometimes for working on the edge of a board that is over 4'. I edge joint by hand, so that ends up being my primary use for it. That being said, the English bench style apron could make it unnecessary. I can only use my bench from one side, so that wasn't an option.

The split top is nice. I think it's actually less work, so there's no downside. I mostly just use it to hold tools, although I've used it as a planing stop a few times (although there's several options for that). I've had 2 or 3 times where it's helped with a weird work holding situation, and I've done something like clamped a board to the stretcher and had it come up through the split to support a part.

Good luck! That looks like a decent bench design. I think the reality is that there's several options that can work. I went with the Roubo through the guild because it's a proven design, and I didn't want to dislike the bench after spending that much time and money on it.

• Like 1