White Oak Score, Plan to Quatersaw

Bmac

4 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Wow those will be great. Fair warning, quarter sawing logs takes a good deal longer, especially if the saw has no power moving. Factor that in to your total time renting the mill. Quartering big 36" sycamore logs took me and the operator about 4X as long as canting and slicing.

Yup, realize it will take longer, plan to pick the best log and start with that to figure out timing. I'll have at least 3, maybe 4 I want quarter sawn along with 3 walnut logs and a few paulownia. It will be a full day.

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I always wondered why don't you cut those logs around 9 ft so you get fully useful 8'+ lengths after drying ? Glad you scored some potential QSWH . Please have a hand plane handy when it gets cut & share some pics.

I would have cut them shorter but it's harder for the mill. My rationale for shorter logs is that since I cut a lot of stuff at 9/4 it's just a lot easier for me to handle the smaller boards. Ends have already been sealed with anchorseal so I'm not expecting much loss from end cracks. Also, I can't remember the last time I built something where I needed 8 ft boards. Now with saying that, I'll need that length next build.

4 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac you are a flat land logger. :) You need to get in the steep mtns and try it. ;)

You know, that would be fun, for a few days. I love cutting and processing wood almost as much as I like making things with wood. 

Logs are about 28" diameter, I've cut them in quarters in the past but I do like what what is in your photo, that would be faster.

I'm not really that worried about time. I'll start with the best logs, likely the Walnut as Brendon says up above, and move on from there. If I don't get everything milled I'm not losing any sleep, I have a chainsaw mill!

1 hour ago, RIW said:

Bmac those are real nice white oak logs. My guess is about 800 bdf. But Spanky  it a lot better at telling that than I will ever be. 

I bet with those kind words, you’re still no closer to getting some of his butternut;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac not sure on how you will QS your white oak log. If they are big I cut them in four quarters and start cutting one quarter. But on smaller logs I QS them this way in the pic and it’s faster.

D31DB9E5-3FD7-4CEE-8862-8FDB021C41CF.jpeg

How do they get that glaze on the logs? 

12 hours ago, Tom King said:

Here's a discussion by sawyers about charging that you may find interesting:

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104073.0

That was was a cool discussion to read.  I've never gotten into the weeds on the measurements when I help out at the mill, but I'm going to now.  Very interesting

2 hours ago, Jfitz said:

Haha.  White oak? That's funny.

56 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Right.. it'll be gone in about 200 years  : )

Yup, it's amazing how little the average person knows about wood. 

Now if it was a Black Walnut I wonder if he would have said that, or thought he had something very valuable.