Dyeing to know

Ronn W

While gathering info on making complex mouldings I ran across some picture frames that were made from 2 or more pieces glued together to creat a complicate moulding and the pieces of the moudling were dyed different colors prior to assembly.  That prompts this general question........  What species of woods are best for dyeing on smaller projects where grain patterns are not as important as getting the dye to take evenly?  and........What species of woods are best for dyeing on larger projects where the grain is more important?

26 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

The top was some curly-figured maple, chairs and the rest of the table in plain maple, a few drops of trans tint in de waxed schellac lightly sanded to bring out the figure in the wood. 

Very nice work and choice of finish.

OK,  so what about red, blue, green tints - same question.

• Like 1

Ahh thx

I really wanted to test some stain and dye on Mahogany the other day but the pieces i had aren't big enough to tell me much. Otherwise Ash is a good wood for stain and dye if you don't mine open pores or pore filling. Also because you do a great job with veneer dyed veneer is a great option unless you wanted to take a break from the awesome veneer work you've been doing.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Also because you do a great job with veneer dyed veneer is a great option unless you wanted to take a break from the awesome veneer work you've been doing.

I don't know what my next project will be.  Maybe just some minor shop improvements.  Better storage for sandpaper, drill bits, etc.