Recommendations for planer

Needing to replace my planer, Delta RC-33, it’s 13” 220 volts.  Looking for a good planer under $1000, no cheapies or inferior stuff.  Any recommendations? I’ve seen one on Cadanian WW, anyone see that one?  Don’t do commercial work only for hobby.

Most of us will reccomend the DeWalt 735. It's a 13" planer and you can pick them up for $500 up to $800 with spiral heads.  If you go with the lower end, just a note that the DeWalt blades for it, are a tad inferior.  When they wear out go to Infinity.com and get their high speed blades they last 5 times longer and can be rehoned several times.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mat60 said:

If you don't want to spend for the Dewalt  735 the 734 is a decent plainer.

I think the 734 is better than "decent". I have used one for several years. I'm not sure when the 735 came out, but I think I got my 734 just before it did. The 734 does a very smooth job and I almost have to force it to snipe. I have run many many BF (mostly cherry) through it and am still on the original blades. I agree. If you don't want to spend for the 735, you can't go wrong with the 734.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wimayo said:

I think the 734 is better than "decent". I have used one for several years. I'm not sure when the 735 came out, but I think I got my 734 just before it did. The 734 does a very smooth job and I almost have to force it to snipe. I have run many many BF (mostly cherry) through it and am still on the original blades. I agree. If you don't want to spend for the 735, you can't go wrong with the 734.

Years ago I had the 733 and used it for years. Did a nice job also. 

15 hours ago, RichardA said:

Amen on the noise.  But I'm lucky, I just turn my hearing aids off and they become earplugs.  Huh?

I've been trying to convince my dad to get hearing aids for years.... he's too cheap. He has bad tinnitus from farming and working at power plants.

34 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've been trying to convince my dad to get hearing aids for years.... he's too cheap. He has bad tinnitus from farming and working at power plants.

Got mine from Tractor Trailer noise for 32 years.   But your Dad has a point, they are expensive. And at that, they are generally only good for about 5 years. Then you gotta blow another wad for a new pair.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yikes that would add up. He was talking about something changing in the law for them in 2020 where they won't be considered a medical device, he hopes the new law will drive prices down and make them easier to get.

What I get from my audiologist, is that the  smaller the electronics, the higher the price, Medical or not.

• Like 1

I wore self fitting soccer shin guards in college. As I recall, I wetted them, formed them to my shins, then microwaved to set them. I used self fitting brace guards in jr high. As I recall, it came two part, got pressed into my braces, then set aside until it cured. 

On 1/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, Chestnut said:

Is this a good thing? I always thought their stuff was way over priced and under performed. By thought i mean in my opinion.

I have no idea.   I just saw some article that the FDA was looking into this, and Bose happens to be the first one to get approval.   As far as over priced... Yeah, Bose will probably charge $500-1000 or something for it, but that's still far less than the $3000 the hearing aid guys want.

Mine cost about $5600, so if Bose can make them that function well for $1000 that would be fantastic.  The real problem, is that most people don't need pure amplification, but rather amplification of specific frequencies.  In a quiet room, I can talk to most men all day without missing a word, but in the same room with a woman or child, I might not pickup 10%.  So I don't need men's voices amplified, I'm quite fine, I need those higher frequencies amplified, but keep the low frequencies right where they are or the low frequencies are too loud.  Unfortunately spent too many years working at power plants and refineries without proper hearing protection.  40 years ago, they didn't stress hearing protection nor give workers hearing protection in high sound areas.  I'm glad that today, it is a real priority, but too late for some of us.

28 minutes ago, Eric Anderson said:

Mine cost about $5600, so if Bose can make them that function well for $1000 that would be fantastic.  The real problem, is that most people don't need pure amplification, but rather amplification of specific frequencies.  In a quiet room, I can talk to most men all day without missing a word, but in the same room with a woman or child, I might not pickup 10%.  So I don't need men's voices amplified, I'm quite fine, I need those higher frequencies amplified, but keep the low frequencies right where they are or the low frequencies are too loud.  Unfortunately spent too many years working at power plants and refineries without proper hearing protection.  40 years ago, they didn't stress hearing protection nor give workers hearing protection in high sound areas.  I'm glad that today, it is a real priority, but too late for some of us.

I spent $4200 for two ears, Tractor Trailer noise screwed me. Bought my last pair 5 years ago and they are starting to show problems. At 76 years old, I see no need to blow a bunch of hard earned Social Security money on a new pair.  Gonna shoot for just an overhaul on these, they should last till I won't be hearing anything any way.