Shenanigans on the lathe today

Gary Beasley

Ive been working on my first open segment bowl today. I cut wood for it yesterday and glued up a base. It has 18 segs to the ring, sassafrass for the background wood, black walnut and yellowheart for the feature pattern. Im usng the jig Earl Rasmussen developed and featured on his youtube channel, Earls Small Segment Shop. More later

D0DBC9CC-42AA-4975-9A77-DFA5E03D6B55.jpeg

• Like 1

Hardly seems like shenanigans to me. I've always admired Earl's jig and will probably build one some day...after I finish the dust collection arm, and the wedgie sled, and...and...and...

Looks like it's going to be a rather wide bowl/platter. Approximate dimensions and shape you're hoping to achieve?

2 hours ago, Bombarde16 said:

Hardly seems like shenanigans to me. I've always admired Earl's jig and will probably build one some day...after I finish the dust collection arm, and the wedgie sled, and...and...and...

Looks like it's going to be a rather wide bowl/platter. Approximate dimensions and shape you're hoping to achieve?

Its going to be about 12” wide and 5 to 6” tall. It going to look a bit like a basket.

The jig is pretty cheap from chefware kits, not even worth the time to built it yourself.  You can upgrade to a full kit with index wheel too, just need the jacobs chuck from elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect an open segment vessel would be great for pouporri and any other smellgood potions. Might even work as a yarn bowl, you could put several balls in and feed them out all over the place. For the most part though they are made to be looked at, like those antiquey chinese vases folks make such a fuss over.

Gary, I helped a turner friend of mine to turn some square stock for me into mallet handles and that was a white knuckle experience. Why do all sharp woodworking things have to turn toward you :mellow:? BTW, check the pressure on your fire extinguisher. That is one of the 2M that were recalled. 

Found a new video Glenn Lucas put out. Hes an Irish production woodturner who comes to the US to participate in seminars. I had the pleasure of sitting in on several of his presentations at the Woodturning Southern Style symposium in Dalton one year and sitting with him for dinner. He does his own video work as well so you can see hes quite talented all round.

• 3 weeks later...