Matt's Hand Tool Cabinet

Art

Awesome! I'll definitely be following along. I'm building mine mostly to the plans, aside from altering some joinery details a bit. I did find that the online plan right now is a bit light on details and dimensions, but it's possible to figure it all out.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I am looking forward to watching this one too.

I am just going to say this, I hope you all come up with better door front material selection. ;)

I'll do the same as Matt the second I finish my bandsaw mill B)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jfitz said:

I'm curious, what are the overall dimensions of the case?  I'm a little limited in wall height where I'd want to mount it...

Matt's plans end up at 39 1/2" by 29 1/2".  I had some size restrictions as well, so mine will end up somewhere around 35" x 29".  I'm using his plans mainly as a guide, and adjusting as needed for my own situation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Art said:

So this is where I'm at now.  Main case dry fitted.  Drawers are from an old project (my daughter rejected them :mellow:).  Next up is finish prep, glue-up and fitting the back.  The large cubbies on the sides are for books.

Very nice! Yours looks fantastic. I like the adaptation for the book shelves. 

4 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Looks great Art, very nice work! Makes me wish I had more than 2 hand planes, thoughts on finish and pulls yet?

Actually, I only have two hand planes myself (so far) ;)

The finish will likely be ARS, and the pulls will be these from Lee Valley (since I bought them when I first made the drawers):

823062336_castbrasspull.jpg.5515a75a86f3eeaf428f1eb6222df19e.jpg

13 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Very nice! Yours looks fantastic. I like the adaptation for the book shelves. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Art said:

Thanks, it's coming along.  The problem is that once I've finished this, I'll have to start making real projects...

You and me both. I've got a painted pine book shelf and some other kid projects, so I'm in no rush to be done.

2 hours ago, higtron said:

@Art I like your cabinet it's coming out great I was just wondering what you have wrapped around your F style clamp handles? cab9.thumb.jpeg.3eb58e6cca18db53a70eaaf5acdbe83a.jpeg And is it just for looks or a better grip?

It's hockey tape.  I got the idea from Rob Cosman.  It must be a Canadian thing...

It makes for much better grip.

Here is a video:https://www.google.com/search?q=wrapping+the+end+of+a+hockey+stick&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA701CA703&oq=wrapping+the+end+of+a+hockey+stick&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7136j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Man i haven't taped a stick in a decade..... :( Never really liked how it got gooey over time. Do you have that problem?

Not at all.  I think it helps that I'm not sweating all over the clamps.  It honestly makes them much better to use.

• Like 1