Fremont Night Stand (File Cabinet)

Mick S

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

you did get dinged one point for the water bottle blockage LOL

Paul, you should give a half a point back because he is using a crock cistern instead of a metal stand for the bottle.

Mick, I think if it were my project, and it isn't, ;)   I would lean toward attaching the doors to the drawers.  Opening doors to pull out drawers aways seems a bit of a nuisance to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Nice! This should be fun. Having access to a CNC would be awesome :) 

On another note I vote you the winner of the most awesome view from your shop window contest, you did get dinged one point for the water bottle blockage LOL

I do have a nice view. The first time my brother came I asked him for any suggestions he had about shop layout, etc. He pondered a while and said the first thing he'd do is knock out that wall and put in a glass wall.

IMG_0741.thumb.jpg.84480d2173d93e0f32435fd0489f039e.jpg

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Opening doors to pull out drawers aways seems a bit of a nuisance to me. 

Agreed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mick S said:

I o have a nice view. The first time my brother came I asked him for any suggestions he had about shop layout, etc. He pondered a while and siad the first thing he'd do is knock out that wall and put in a glass wall.

IMG_0741.thumb.jpg.84480d2173d93e0f32435fd0489f039e.jpg

Agreed.

That is amazing!!

5 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Side question, what is the table with all the dog holes in the last photo of your OP?  Clamping table or down draft?

Mark - It's my tablesaw outfeed table. Several years ago I made Timothy Wilmot's MFTC shop table as a CNC project. I cut a couple of extra tops thinking that someday I might not have access to a CNC router. When I got ready to build my outfeed table I used those since I still have a CNC router available and since I find the design really useful.

IMG_4200.jpg

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Mick, that doesn’t look to be mesquite? Glad Darrell’s program was a success. 

Nope, sapele this time. I'm down to cutting-board-sized offcuts in my mesquite stash. I think rather than paying a 40 - 50% surcharge for shipping I'm going to make a trip to the Austin area to visit some family and friends and pick up a few hundred feet while I'm there. Who knows, I may even spend an afternoon tubing the Guadalupe!

Good technique.  I number my pieces on the end with an arrow pointing up.  One pass the arrow points up, next the arrow points down.  But with something as thin as veneer there is not enough edge to do this so your idea will come in handy.

21 hours ago, Chet said:

Good technique.  I number my pieces on the end with an arrow pointing up.  One pass the arrow points up, next the arrow points down.  But with something as thin as veneer there is not enough edge to do this so your idea will come in handy.

I mark mine in a similar way prior to resawing, but on the edge. If I have 3 pieces to resaw I mark one with a diagonal line on the edge running in the direction of the rising grain so I can see it better after it's been cut and know which direction to feed. On the other pieces I put two diagonal lines, 3 lines, etc so I can keep the flitches straight. I offset the lines toward one end so It's easier to keep from having the odd piece upside down.

7 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I was thinking the same thing :) 

Paul - I forgot to take photos of the process until after I had broken down the setup. I just set a piece I’d already cut back on the table for that photo after I had finished. 

He has an auxiliary fence made of Baltic birch ply that clamps to the primary fence. It’s about 10” tall in its high position, 6” in the low position. I left his AD741 set up for planing in between cuts for a good, consistent surface to resaw from. The panels in the video had already been run through the sander a few passes before I thought to shoot some video.

• Like 1