Fremont Night Stand (File Cabinet)

Mick S

9 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great! Do you use templates for the cloud lift and the legs?

CNC. I initially cut templates (CNC) from 1/4" MDF for grain and figure layout and for getting an idea of scale before I started cutting everything. Once I was happy with that I laid out the patterns on the pieces I was cutting from so I could orient the parts in my CAD program (Aspire). Particularly for the cloud lift, I wanted the consistency more than anything else, so that once I get to the door and drawer fronts I can hopefully get a consistent reveal.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, Chet said:

Good job on the first videos.  I like that jig for gluing up the veneer panels.  Is it a table by itself or do you just put it on another work surface

Thanks Chet. It's a separate piece that I hang on the wall when not in use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic boards!! I always assumed a 16" machine would cover 98% of everyone's needs. You just squeaked by in this instance. I have a 500mm jointer, and in thicker stock, i think I become the limiting factor. I dont know that i could comfortably muscle a 8/4 board of that width over 7-9'.

I wondered this in the guild build too, but what is the advantage of veneering the side panels? Ribboned Sapele isnt exactly rare or expensive. Seems like a hassle to glue up a veneer panel instead of doing it in solid wood,but i saw Darrel do it in his build too. Just to get away with not worrying about a floating panel? 

6 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

I wondered this in the guild build too, but what is the advantage of veneering the side panels? Ribboned Sapele isnt exactly rare or expensive. Seems like a hassle to glue up a veneer panel instead of doing it in solid wood,but i saw Darrel do it in his build too. Just to get away with not worrying about a floating panel? 

You're right, sapele plywood is not expensive but at least in my case, I didn't want to buy a whole sheet when I only needed about 1/4 of it. I don't use sapele much (my first time ever) and I thought it would most likely sit around for a long time. After cutting and laying up the veneer, making the panel, etc., I found myself asking why not do a frame and panel? I think one advantage of his method is rigidity. With that much glue surface involved, I don't think it's going anywhere. Since my project is a file cabinet rather than a nightstand, that extra rigidity might be a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful.  Were you able to buy the finish locally? Although I have been using the same basic formula for years I am always tweaking things in the finish area.  Being in SoCal my component choices are getting limited without crossing the border ;-)

2 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Beautiful.  Were you able to buy the finish locally? Although I have been using the same basic formula for years I am always tweaking things in the finish area.  Being in SoCal my component choices are getting limited without crossing the border ;-)

Thanks gee-dub. Nope, I got it from a vendor in Idaho I believe. Very good service, though. Printed the shipping label while I was on the phone ordering it. Got it 3 days later.

So the bottom two doors will be two file drawers and the top two are actual drawers.  When you first were describing this I picture the file section to be two faux doors with the filing system to be perpendicular to the door fronts.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, Chet said:

When you first were describing this I picture the file section to be two faux doors with the filing system to be perpendicular to the door fronts.

Here you go. 

IMG_0600.thumb.jpg.43a2455ce0dfeddf215c4e273689a4ee.jpg

I'm making samples of Darrell's ribbon pull and the block and dowel pull to see which I like better. The inside stiles of the file drawers will be the pull mount location and the ribbon pulls may be too bulky to look right.

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

The inside stiles of the file drawers will be the pull mount location and the ribbon pulls may be too bulky to look right.

That's interesting, I was thinking they would look great in the vertical orientation.  Maybe just a little shorter and narrower.  But maybe my preference comes for not really liking the block and dowel.;)

I prefer the looks of the ribbon pull, too. I'll just have to scale them down quite  bit to get it to look right. I did a quick mockup for the upper drawer pulls and they'd look fine up there with some tweaking. Too large for the file drawers.

IMG_0602.jpg.607af925475002eb19547598e6ec101e.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg.95d06f9ad6a5cbc2999684c1ec6353c2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...