Garrett Wade Bench?

Nevermore

Quick question....   so i'm not a super serious woodworker (less so once we had our kid a few years back)... but I've never had a workbench and would love to have one. I've had plans collected away for years of one I always planned on making... but life gets in the way and at this point I would rather pay the piper and just purchase one. I am just using my my grandfathers wooden kitchen table for projects ... but that only goes so far!

So I am seeing a Garrett Wade bench, made with "african hardwood" that is going for $1200.... and I offered $600.. which they are okay with. 5’x 21” top with two 7 ½-inch vices. It's in very good condition from the photos. 

Before I make a few hour drive to look at it.... has anyone have any experience with this brand and if the $600 is reasonable?

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 2.23.19 PM.jpg

I've no experience with that specific brand or style of bench but from the pic it looks pretty nice.  If you can lean on the end and not get too much wobble from it in the long direction I think it'd be worth a go.  Certainly looks stable enough and to have a good weight.  I can see a little wear but whoever used it took pretty good care of it.

22 minutes ago, Byrdie said:

I've no experience with that specific brand or style of bench but from the pic it looks pretty nice.  If you can lean on the end and not get too much wobble from it in the long direction I think it'd be worth a go.  Certainly looks stable enough and to have a good weight.  I can see a little wear but whoever used it took pretty good care of it.

All of what Byrdie said - 

Plus the design looks like, if you were so inclined, that you good build a beefier base for it sometime down the road and put the top from this on on that base.  There is probably way more lumber in that bench then what you could buy for $600.  I think unless you find something really wonky about it when you get there, I would go for it.

Looks like the Garret Wade benches aren't sold anymore... not much info... but thank goodness the internet doesn't forget. I am finding an old 1997 Tool Buyers guide that lists it with the below info.

Large Cabinet Price   20.5 x 60 x 34.75  Rhodesian Teak   180lbs .... but only $525!  

I'll have to go back to them with maybe $350-450

e276f30959d15c4cb3edeba674643e12--workbe

2 hours ago, Nevermore said:

...at this point I would rather pay the piper and just purchase one.

Can you find a better one for $600? If not and it checks out in person just buy it. $525 in 1996 is the same as $840 in 2018 dollars in my internet calculator is correct.

Give it the push test first. The base looks a little sub par for most woodworking benches. I would recommend a bench that has more beef in the legs and cross members. Looking at the pictures you posted, even if there is some some slop, there are ways to stiffen the bench. $350 max would be my offer.

• Like 1

Buy it. You could easily beef up the base by adding a 4/4 x 6 inch or wider stretcher on the rear legs. Cut a small shoulder to create a tenon, then pocket mortices and use barrel nuts and bolts to fasten it I. Won't take more than an hour or so, but you will be surprised at how much it stiffens the base against racking.