Weird Pegboard Hook Question

JasonS

Does anyone know where to get the pegboard hooks Rocker uses in their retail stores? I used to work for Rockler and they're the best hooks I've ever used, but I don't remember the manufacturer name and I can't even find an image of them on the net. I'm several hundred miles from the nearest Rockler store and a phone call to one got me the answer that they come from Rockler's warehouse (which they do, but doesn't help me). Anyone have any ideas?

Look for a retail supply store (sells supplies to retail stores) in your area. They will probably also have the thicker pegboard sheets that are much more durable and rigid than the cheap stuff you find at the big box stores. 

You can also look for retail stores that are closing down. They often sell/auction their fixtures and supplies. 

If you get in touch with a manger at Rockler they should be able to order them for you. They have a cost for ordering them from Rockler HQ, so they should be able to make a deal on a sales price for you. But, they also might not want to bother.

I used to work at a hardware store that used Ace as the primary supplier, and we sometimes ordered 'store supplies' for customers. I've never been in a Rockler, so I don't know if/how the hooks are different from other retail stores, but the ones we had were far superior to the dinky pegboard hooks that are readily available to consumers.

Do these hooks have some special features that you must have for a certain purpose? Or, are you just looking for some hooks that stay put? If the latter, I can help you with a method I use to hold any hook in place without much, if any, wiggle. Go to This forum thread and scroll all the way down to the last comment.

1 hour ago, Minnesota Steve said:

This is kind of interesting and related... but those pegs in that rockler pick have some sort of metal flat backing.   Might be like this pegboard protector plate, or likely built right into the hooks...

That flat metal back is the key. It has 4 prongs that go back and hook down. There are 2 advantages to that: 1) there's no need to tilt the hook when rearranging so you don't have to take everything down, and 2) those 4 prongs lock the hook in place so it takes effort to knock them loose.

I've looked at a number of retail fixture suppliers for a while now, and I've never seen them in another store. My google-fu isn't great to begin with and such an obscure item is tough to describe in a search.

I would certainly contact my old boss but it looks like my first one just retired (that was shocker - I thought Randy would be at the Burnsville store forever) and our regional manager seems to be retired as well. I'm not sure who's left of my contacts at corporate (it would feel weird to call and ask) and the rest of my store contacts and staff have either retired or have moved on. I had to leave the company about 8 years ago so that's kind of to be expected though.

And that photo? That's the Minnetonka store. That's the store I was managing when I left the company. I started at Burnsville as the assistant manager, got transfered to Minnetonka for 2 weeks as the assistant, transfered to Minneapolis as acting manager for 6 months, then transfered back to Minnetonka as the manager. That was the job I liked the most of all that I've had. I kind of miss it sometimes. I really liked the people I worked with though, both in the store and at corporate (given how close I was to HQ I was there frequently - I even picked up larger orders there for customers while they went and had lunch). I even liked the company as an entity, honestly; they asked a lot of us but they treated us well in return.

Sorry for that left turn to nostalgia. The photo just brought up memories and it's interesting to see how it's changed. The closest woodworking store to me now is the Allentown Woodcraft and it's...somewhat lacking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 9:09 AM, G Ragatz said:

Doesn't @applejackson work at a Rockler store?  Maybe he can find out.

Yes I do.

@Jason S. Are you referring to the hooks that they hang products on? Because those are just the standard retail store hooks I see in every store I walk into - though they would work well for hanging tools on pegboard I suppose.

I'm guessing your referring to something else though?

@Jason S. Sorry I didn't see your longer reply before I submitted my first reply.

Yes you're talking about the regular hooks but I have no idea where they source them. If you were a manager then you probably know more than I do. 

One note, I don't know if it's the same Randy but I work at the Minnetonka store and Randy S*****s works there also, idk if he ever worked at Burnsville but it wouldn't surprise me as he's been with the company a long time. Very knowledgeable, talented guy.