Hello from Texas

Joshua

Hey Gents!

New to WoodTalk and woodworking, looking forward to being inspired by the wonderful content here and have access to the wealth of knowledge. Wanted to say hello and let y'all know what I'm working on this week.

This is a dining room table project I have been chipping away at for a few weeks now, made from oak that was given to me years ago. I have carted this lumber around through three moves and finally felt confident enough to use it on a project.  For my first go at a breadboard, well any mortise and tenon work for that matter, I am very pleased with the outcome. Hope to have the everything sanded and prepped for finish by the weekend.

IMG_0500.JPG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Joshua, welcome to the forum. That's a darn good looking piece! Are the boards tongue and grooved?

Misread and though you were talking about the breadboards and M&T joinery....

No, the top is not T&G, the lumber was originally +/- .875" thick and just under 4" wide, may have even been some old big box store stuff. Most all had some sort of twist, bow or cup. Lots of stock removal with a power hand plane and hand plane got them flat, most all ended up just proud of .625" thick. Really struggled with jointing all the edges while trying to maintain consistent width though.. Without a doubt it was my lack of skill and proper bench vise to work off of. Ill tell you what, even with the panel split into two glue ups, those pieces were sliding all over the place.

Also, had two pieces of 8/4 that i glued up of the two edges to give the appearance of a thicker top, had to work with the materials i had available.

IMG_0501.JPG

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Joshua, seeing that you are from Santa Fe, TX, my thoughts and prayers have been with you and your community. I hope your family and friends are safe and sound. 

Likewise. Man you guys in my home state have been hit and hit again. On top of that, the Whataburger thing. DAMN!