Cross cut sled

Rocko

I suggest putting the fence about 2" forward of the trailing edge, and attach it with a single screw next to the cut line. Then glue a block to the corner of the sled, behind the fence, a little less than 2" wide. Drill through the block horizontally and run a bolt through from the rear to push against the fence and serve as a fine adjustment screw. I have poor results attempting to make minute adjustments by hand.

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 12:35 AM, gee-dub said:

571773fc136ed_BoxSled(11).jpg.8b876f16c13d16e25f70884c14878b31.jpg

like so.

So I have decided to hold off on buying a new saw at this time and I am going to keep using my Dewalt 7480 which I have built into my workbench. I would like to add a CC sled and I am wondering if anyone has plans from one they have built? I like ones I have seen like the one pictured above although I know this one is not completed yet.

I prefer this style as it just seems more safe and stable to me. 

If there is anyone who is willing to share their plans and photos that would be great. Any other advice going into this is welcome. I have watched several videos on YouTube and everyone has different ideas. I have seen some with taller fences or a second fence I guess? I am not sure what you would call it but it has more of a handle on it and space to place your hands. I think that design is nice as well.

Marc started this forum many boards ago, but now sticks pretty much to his own site,

www.thewoodwhisperer.com. 

Most here would consider his advice to be solid. 

If memory serves he has one or two videos on making a sled which you should be able to find with the site search function.

I have watched the videos by William NG and several others. I was just looking to see if anyone had plans they had from their build or perhaps advice they could share from their experience. There are so many different variations and ways of it being done and I am sure that they are all correct because everyone who makes a video online is a pro :)

I have the concept down I am ready to cut wood.

Honestly I don't use the sled very often. There are a few styles that could be nice. Mattias Wandel on wood gears covers a few of his sled designs and reasons for them. Also John Hitz with I build it uses sleds a lot too and recently just did a new sled.

If you don't use a lot of large parts and just wan tot handle accurate cross cuts. Look into the Incra 1000 SE or other incra miter gauges. I have 3 miter gauges and use those a LOT more often.

Here is mine though. It's 2 hardwood blocks attached to an old kitchen shelf. I used 1 runner because 2 runners are too much work.

0916182025_HDR.thumb.jpg.74755791bbc4ef9569a061b36ad26c50.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Honestly I don't use the sled very often. There are a few styles that could be nice. Mattias Wandel on wood gears covers a few of his sled designs and reasons for them. Also John Hitz with I build it uses sleds a lot too and recently just did a new sled.

If you don't use a lot of large parts and just wan tot handle accurate cross cuts. Look into the Incra 1000 SE or other incra miter gauges. I have 3 miter gauges and use those a LOT more often.

Here is mine though. It's 2 hardwood blocks attached to an old kitchen shelf. I used 1 runner because 2 runners are too much work.

0916182025_HDR.thumb.jpg.74755791bbc4ef9569a061b36ad26c50.jpg

Thanks Chestnut.

I will research those options. I did find some plans from Fix This Build That video which seem to be pretty good. I looked at the Incra one you mentioned. Does the fence on that slide over so it is even on both sides or is it always offset like I see in the photos?

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

Thanks Chestnut.

I will research those options. I did find some plans from Fix This Build That video which seem to be pretty good. I looked at the Incra one you mentioned. Does the fence on that slide over so it is even on both sides or is it always offset like I see in the photos?

The fence is offset. I attached a piece of 3/4" mdf to mine and have it hang over to act as a zero clearance.