Maloof Lounge Chair, deconstructing design and building one

Bmac

7 hours ago, Coop said:

I like the way you say “we” when you perform a function. Makes me fell like I’m there and part of it. However, if you make a mistake, try to remember to make it singular. :D

Glad it makes you feel included Coop, but I was under the asumption you were building one along with me!

• Haha 2

Well I think your observation is spot on for that pic, but I think that pic is a little deceiving. They are still 2" wide. I'll reduce the width to about 1.5" and won't change them thickness wise much if at all. I think the finally dimension of those back legs at the tip will be 1.5" x 1", I'm ok with that. For example I turned the front legs to 1.25" at the base. We'll see but I appreciate the observation.

Maybe I should put a max weight sign on the chair!

• Like 1

Yes sir, I think you have substantial. I think you could have close encounters in that chair without a problem! :D. A Woodworking friend called yesterday after watching a Popular Woodworking video or something similar, on the Maloof rocker and asked if I watched it. I told him no, as we have Bmac. I had to explain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bmac said:

Need to talk with my guy on how far down on the frame to place the strips. Here I'm trying one in;

My opinion is have the upholstery frame sit only 1/4" at most below the frame. It's not very comfortable when the cushion compresses and you feel the hard wooden edge on the back of your leg.  This is going to depend on the thickness of the upholstery though. The nice part is if you install it lower you can always shim the upholstery frame up but you can't really shim it down.

I've shimmed up the upholstery frame on my Morris chairs already to get a better fit than i originally built.

I haven't spoken to the upholstery guy yet, but I'm thinking I will try to replicate the look of the original. Of course I'm open to suggestions though. 

What do people think? I don't think leather would look good, but I could be wrong. I'm partial to blue, but I like a green tone more when paired walnut. Anyone have an opinion?

You can get colored leather, some of the aniline dyed leather is quite color fast and should hold it's color well over time. My thought is that fabric is the better choice, though this would probably depend on the surroundings. The style and era of furniture is well suited to a fabric.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 3:40 AM, Bmac said:

Thanks guys for reaffirming my thoughts. I actually really like the fabric that is on the one I'm copying, it also should fit into our color scheme. I esp like there is a hint of blue in the fabric.

After having it on my Morris chair for a month I think you should give mohair a look.  Its not like back in the day were the choices were gray and gray, now there are quite a large number of colors... and after looking at a lot of them I went with gray but they did have some nice blues.

• Like 2

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e