Maloof Lounge Chair, deconstructing design and building one

Bmac

• 1 month later...

The chair ended up looking beautiful.  I think you fabric choice really enhanced the project.  

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

First, I too think the chair sits well, but with my wife, the height of the chair and the depth of the seat make it hard for her to touch the ground with her feet.

Sounds like you need a quick small stool project for her, then make the next chair.

• Thanks 1

That green does indeed go very well with walnut. Excellent choice. The chair is a great example of craftsmanship and elegant design, my hat is off to you!

That side table is reallt cool, in a "wickedly delightful" sort of way. The legs do have an arachnid-ish appearance, even with only three of them. The killer detail, IMO is how the grain at the outer edges of the table top mimics the spidery flare of the legs. That is one outstanding job of matching the material to the design. Hats off, again!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chet said:

Sounds like you need a quick small stool project for her, then make the next chair.

Or cut an inch or two off the bottom of the legs. I'm going to live with it for awhile and likely shorten the legs before making another. We' see. Of course your stool idea works equally well.

9 hours ago, Coop said:

You snuck that in under the radar! 

Coop, I'm not showing everything, I need to hold back a few secrets.

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That side table is reallt cool, in a "wickedly delightful" sort of way. The legs do have an arachnid-ish appearance, even with only three of them. The killer detail, IMO is how the grain at the outer edges of the table top mimics the spidery flare of the legs. That is one outstanding job of matching the material to the design. Hats off, again!

Great pick up on the grain on the top, that never occurred to me. Now I'm going to say I did that on purpose. I was pleased with how the table turned out, but it wasn't quite as delicate as the one I copied. Here's what I went off of to make the table;

IMG_2463.jpg.771e8330f8e895b186bb8fb0654b763c.jpg

My legs are not quite as delicate and my top is a little larger, giving it a heavier feel. I'm still pleased with my effort, but if I ever do another I'm going to try to get closer to the picture above.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

I'm still pleased with my effort, but if I ever do another I'm going to try to get closer to the picture above.

I like yours better. The one that inspired you has an assymetry that bothers my sense of balance. Looks a bit like the roots of a spindly tree, perhaps that was the maker's intent. Seems a bit on the fragile side, though.

5 hours ago, Bmac said:

Or cut an inch or two off the bottom of the legs. I'm going to live with it for awhile and likely shorten the legs before making another. We' see. Of course your stool idea works equally well.

Coop, I'm not showing everything, I need to hold back a few secrets.

Great pick up on the grain on the top, that never occurred to me. Now I'm going to say I did that on purpose. I was pleased with how the table turned out, but it wasn't quite as delicate as the one I copied. Here's what I went off of to make the table;

IMG_2463.jpg.771e8330f8e895b186bb8fb0654b763c.jpg

My legs are not quite as delicate and my top is a little larger, giving it a heavier feel. I'm still pleased with my effort, but if I ever do another I'm going to try to get closer to the picture above.

You also reversed the leg positions.  I don't see arachnid, what I see is praying mantis.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I like yours better. The one that inspired you has an assymetry that bothers my sense of balance. Looks a bit like the roots of a spindly tree, perhaps that was the maker's intent. Seems a bit on the fragile side, though.

Your right, the original has more of a spindly tree root look, and that was what I was shooting for. I didn't expect my to look like a bug. I think the shape of my top contributes to the bug look, more oval and extending out further. I'm glad you like mine better!

43 minutes ago, RichardA said:

You also reversed the leg positions.  I don't see arachnid, what I see is praying mantis.

I think it's just the angle I took the picture from, and I can see a praying mantis also. I'll just call it my bug table.

My legs also don't quite splay out as far as the original. I drew pattern after pattern to try and get the look of the original. Thought I had it but missed slightly. 

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47