Maloof Lounge Chair, deconstructing design and building one

Bmac

Here is another view.

_MPB1345_unexhibitied_chair.jpg

from https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/06/12/new-exhibit-features-never-seen-before-works-by-sam-maloof

It indicates that the chair was made specifically for an exhibit so there may need to be some adjustments made. The only reason i say that is, even with my youthful spry abilities, that chair looks difficult to extricate myself from. My guess is the top of the upholstery is 16" from the ground with the wood frame at 15" but you indicate you have a good idea for that.

The only other thing that I see is if it's a chair with out an ottoman the seat depth looks like it'd cause a persons legs to rest against the front frame of the chair and could cause circulation problems to the feet. I don't have a ton of experience with these chairs so maybe it's ok.

• Like 2

I will enjoy following your build.  Just looking at the picture, I liek the angle of the seat to the backrest but it seems that the body position is a lttle too reclined.  Maybe just a bit more upright would work - easier to get into and out of?????

• Like 1

All good points @Chestnut, these are things I need to tweak. And yes @RichardA It does look sleep inducing. 

Nut that front pic of the chair is great, it helps a ton. Your computer search ability surpasses mine. Was that the only pic you could find? I'd love a shot of it from the back.

So from the new angle I have a few observations. I agree with @Ronn W, it looks like it's reclined a little too much, I'm going to try a lessen that. It also looks like the width of the seat narrows toward the back rest. This was something I was wondering about and this shot confirms that. Saves me some tweaking there. I also don't like the wide arms. I like the way they sweep but I'm going to make them more narrow. I've already done this to the arms on the rocker.

This chair is listed on the Maloof website, so I think this was one of his last designed chair;

http://sammaloofwoodworker.com/seatinglounge.html

Thanks for the input so far guys!

24 minutes ago, Bmac said:

All good points @Chestnut, these are things I need to tweak. And yes @RichardA It does look sleep inducing. 

Nut that front pic of the chair is great, it helps a ton. Your computer search ability surpasses mine. Was that the only pic you could find? I'd love a shot of it from the back.

So from the new angle I have a few observations. I agree with @Ronn W, it looks like it's reclined a little too much, I'm going to try a lessen that. It also looks like the width of the seat narrows toward the back rest. This was something I was wondering about and this shot confirms that. Saves me some tweaking there. I also don't like the wide arms. I like the way they sweep but I'm going to make them more narrow. I've already done this to the arms on the rocker.

This chair is listed on the Maloof website, so I think this was one of his last designed chair;

http://sammaloofwoodworker.com/seatinglounge.html

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Unfortunately I tried to find a back picture as well but was unable. This (http://www.riversideartmuseum.org/collections/) is the art gallery it was made for. I wonder if they have any other pictures they would share with you. Too bad it's in LA, i have little desire to go there.

Found Another not very different angle. To me it doesn't look like it tapers towards the back. If you look the back rest comes strait off the rear legs but the front legs are outside the main frame. I think it just appears to be tapered because of that.

3597682426_0dd12ab07d_o.thumb.jpg.4da12d679d9916c61785bd63b47f50b2.jpg

26 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Why would you want to get out of that chair.  Someone might beat you back to it?  Jeez!

Just need to get one of these.

81ohbWr4QdL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Unfortunately I tried to find a back picture as well but was unable. This (http://www.riversideartmuseum.org/collections/) is the art gallery it was made for. I wonder if they have any other pictures they would share with you. Too bad it's in LA, i have little desire to go there.

Found Another not very different angle. To me it doesn't look like it tapers towards the back. If you look the back rest comes strait off the rear legs but the front legs are outside the main frame. I think it just appears to be tapered because of that.

I think you are right Nut, I think it's the position of the back support over the leg that gives it the tapered look. In the pic that @JohnGsent it does not look tapered. The first pic you sent me I think the angle it was taken at gives the seat a more tapered look. The nice thing about no taper is I should have parallel inside surfaces of the back supports, definitely helps with construction.

These extra pics are so helpful, thanks guys!!! Sure beats dropping $18,500!

I tried also to go on the art gallery but couldn't find any back photos there. By the way, I also agree with you Nut about not wanting to visit LA either. 

• Like 1

Luckily it’s in Riverside, not LA :P Fly into the Ontario CA airport and you’ll be close and not have to step foot in LA.

The guy that helped me make the ukulele lives close to that museum. I’ll check to see if he has been there and if he recalls Maloof chairs there. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Luckily it’s in Riverside, not LA :P Fly into the Ontario CA airport and you’ll be close and not have to step foot in LA.

The guy that helped me make the ukulele lives close to that museum. I’ll check to see if he has been there and if he recalls Maloof chairs there. 

Want to be pedantic fine I have no interest in visiting the Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA .... :P

Nothing wrong with it, personally my tastes are more for northern CA coastline with the redwood forests. That area is like being on another planet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Want to be pedantic fine I have no interest in visiting the Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA .... :P

Nothing wrong with it, personally my tastes are more for northern CA coastline with the redwood forests. That area is like being on a "real" planet.

Fixed it.

• Haha 1

Spoke with the upholstery guy and meeting him this week. That will be a big step and the additional photos you guys found are a huge help. That along with the knowing my joinery it's all about the dimensions now and finding out how to make it comfortable. @JohnG was a huge help finding it for sale, not that I plan to buy it, but the sale page has some general dimensions, over all hieght, width and depth. It's listed as 40 H x 28.5 W x 35.5 D, that gives me a rough idea of the footprint. 

So I plan now to make a simple style lounge chair to start and get a feel for what angles are comfortable. Found a simple design the I can make quickly and play with to help develop my patterns. 

https://www.shaunboydmadethis.com/glenn-lounge-chair

This design is straight forward and the way it's constructed, two sides and a one piece seat, I think I can really play with seat height and pitch of the seat. Sort of like a plywood mock up but still a usable chair when finished. Also it will be a surprise moving gift for my son and his girlfriend when I'm done!

Found some interesting information that you might be interested in @Bmac.

https://gallery.collectorsystems.com/MaloofOnlineGallery/2191
https://gallery.collectorsystems.com/MaloofOnlineGallery/2354

It's possible that the chair you are interested in has dimensioned drawings of the exact chair you are interested in. They appear to have a lot of information on that site. It may be worth reaching out to them as well if you are interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Found some interesting information that you might be interested in @Bmac.

https://gallery.collectorsystems.com/MaloofOnlineGallery/2191
https://gallery.collectorsystems.com/MaloofOnlineGallery/2354

It's possible that the chair you are interested in has dimensioned drawings of the exact chair you are interested in. They appear to have a lot of information on that site. It may be worth reaching out to them as well if you are interested.

Awesome sites, thank you. I will definitely look into this!

Made some progress, but not a big update.

So as I mentioned before the side leg houses almost all the joinery, and I need to develop legs that match each other and has certain correct relationships. In the front of the leg we need to do our front leg joint, a Maloof joint. I'll need flat areas to run the router and those flat areas need to match leg to leg and the top part of the leg needs to be parallel to the bottom of the leg. Also the angle of the flat surface on the stem for the backrest support needs to have the correct relationship to the front area. Finally, the length of the legs need to match.

So to accomplish this I started with the backrest stem. I clapped the legs together and using a hand plane I worked the joint surface of the stem flat, at a right angle to the exterior face of the leg, and worked it so both stems matched perfectly (which was easy since they were clamped together). Then, while the legs were still clamped together I went to the bandsaw and cut my top line in the front of the side leg and cut the front length for the leg. Then hand planed again these two surfaces until they were flat, at a right angle to the exterior face and so that both legs matched. So in the pic below you can see uniform stem joint areas and the front part of the side leg has matching flat surfaces on the top part of the leg;

2101937018_MLounge1.jpg.68dc31e5c4400e17e739a81ff5b52fe3.jpg

Last thing I needed to do was cut the underside of the front part to make that surface parallel to the top. Did that on the tablesaw, no problems.

On to the joint for the backrest support, used stacked dominos here, piece of cake;

1008827306_MLounge2.jpg.496bf7294a0775ddd2accf44dbded1fb.jpg

1894968113_MLounge3.jpg.3615cc02b31a886ce75805ce025664a0.jpg

And finally for this post I cut my slot for the Maloof joint that connects the front leg to the seat frame. Ready for the router plane;

1738576853_Mlounge4.jpg.c91526a2cd425aaeb6899bea1d881b0e.jpg

So those slots were cut into the outer side of the leg/seat side piece. Things are bulky now, and that's on purpose. I need flat surfaces to run my router on. Once I rout out the Maloof joint I'll scribe some lines and go to the bandsaw to cut away some of the excess off the top and bottom of the side leg complex. I'll likely cut into this front leg joint. 

So far so good. I hope to get the frame of this chair put together by the end of this weekend.

• Like 2