Ticking stick

Gary Beasley

14 minutes ago, Chet said:

... these things were probably originally made on site with a handsaw and pocket knife and in a matter of minutes while standing up on scaffolding.

I saw this used once, and once only, on site back in the 1970s in the attic of an old manor house. All the rafters and joists had moved over the centuries since it was built, so there were no real reference surfaces or edges. The chippy who used it cut the whole thing with his axe from a piece of scrap, very quickly. After it had served its purpose it was discarded, but I remember being impressed with how well it worked. I thought at the time that "I must remember that" but I have never had occasion to use the technique myself. It is filed away at the back of my brain under "could be useful some day".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wood Basher said:

I saw this used once, and once only, on site back in the 1970s in the attic of an old manor house. All the rafters and joists had moved over the centuries since it was built, so there were no real reference surfaces or edges. The chippy who used it cut the whole thing with his axe from a piece of scrap, very quickly. After it had served its purpose it was discarded, but I remember being impressed with how well it worked. I thought at the time that "I must remember that" but I have never had occasion to use the technique myself. It is filed away at the back of my brain under "could be useful some day".

You’re to be commended for even remembering the 70’s! 

27 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

I kinda remember the 60's.  They say I had a good time.

Who's "they", have you met them, I've heard so much about they, can you introduce me to them, then you'll have to explain to me who "them" is, I think I'm getting confused.  Aw, just forget the whole thing, unless "they" want to meet me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Who's "they", have you met them, I've heard so much about they, can you introduce me to them, then you'll have to explain to me who "them" is, I think I'm getting confused.  Aw, just forget the whole thing, unless "they" want to meet me.

I have a big problem when people ask me “You know What”?  In all these years Ive never met that cuss, wish they’d quit asking.

• Haha 1