Drill Press Fence

Mark J

I'm on the fence about buying a drill press fence.  I was in Rockler last week and they had the fence for my saw on sale for $60, down from $80.  A goodly discount, but 60 bucks is still not confetti.  

I just am not seeing the work flow for it, and the one time I needed a fence I just clamped down a straight piece of wood.  It's not like with a router table where you would slide the work into the bit.  

So for those of you that have a drill press fence how often is it in the way and how often does it save the day?  For those that don't have one how often do you miss it?

Make the one you need from off cuts you have in the shop. Clamps and hold downs are made from the same off cuts of the off cuts.   As long as the bit, and where you measure to the fence, it doesn't matter what angle your fence is, as long as the bit and your mark from the bit is the same.

7F396BDB-C293-4242-9D56-6DC44A526AEC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.03bcffc07f1ec55d8c550b7b3b7de2be.jpeg

If you use your drill press then a table with a fence comes in handy. In this pic it is against the wall. A fence is helpful for small things. Clamps that attach to the rails. Valuable for boring holes for blum hinges. How often do you use your drill press?

Thanks all for the input.  The discussion was helpful.  

13 hours ago, curlyoak said:

How often do you use your drill press?

Pretty much on every project, but I've never done any hinges.  In fact I can't think that I ever drill "the same hole" twice.  

Typically I'm drilling a single hole in a precise location and often to a precise depth.  And my usual work piece is a thick block of wood.  I have a couple of cheap F-clamps I got out of a discount bin at Rock-Craft.  They're not very good, but they have the virtue of being small enough to fit through the slots on the drill press table, which itself is good sized.  

Here I've faked up a typical operation.

20200320_084755.thumb.jpg.2e4ae450ba9b4c40a234d04b4c16eb60.jpg

So I've got work holding when I need it.  And for the odd occasion when a fence might be needed I suppose I can just continue to clamp down a straight piece of wood.  

• Like 1

The offset insert that Free Spirit mentions is something to strongly consider.  I mounted my table so that my insert is offset as well.  This gives me four use area per insert.  the only way it could be better is if it were round.  That mod is on my list but, not near the top ;-)