Virus Inspired Stand Up Paddleboard

Bmac

6 hours ago, Coop said:

I built a surfboard years and years ago with foam and glass and obviously no concern about an air vent. Why a concern about it here? Due to the air mass inside heating up?

Yes Coop, say you left the board laying on the beach. The sun heats it up, the air inside heats up and since the board has been glassed and sealed with epoxy there is no where for the air to escape. This air expansion can cause the decking to delaminate off of the support ribs ot for the decking to split or crack. 

At least that is the theory behind the vent.

• Like 1

@Bmac I was teasin you about having it done because you tend to get stuff done so quickly. This would take me a year and a half, and I’d have to save up to buy all the clamps you’re using! 
Now where are you gonna mount that 5HP outboard? Doesn’t look like you’ll need a long shaft so that should be easy to find.... :)  I’m thinking this will be fun to waterski behind due to the small wake. 

50 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

@Bmac I was teasin you about having it done because you tend to get stuff done so quickly. This would take me a year and a half, and I’d have to save up to buy all the clamps you’re using! 
Now where are you gonna mount that 5HP outboard? Doesn’t look like you’ll need a long shaft so that should be easy to find.... :)  I’m thinking this will be fun to waterski behind due to the small wake. 

No worries Chip, I knew you were teasing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Why more than one paddle?

Good question, paddles are very dependent on length for individuals and their height. Ideally you want the paddle 9-10” longer than the person’s height who is using it. Also, if used in the surf you want a paddle that is shorter than one you use in quiet water. Since my family members are different heights and we expect to use it in the back bays and in the surf I’m going to make 2 different paddle lengths that hopefully cover those different uses and heights. My one son who will likely use it in the surf is taller than me by about 4” and my daughter who will likely use it in the bay is about 3” shorter than me. So if I use my height and make two paddles based off my height I should have my bases covered.

Also, I have to make a jig to bend strips to form the paddle, so if I’m doing that I figured may as well make at least two, and if it’s simple I may may more. The bend will be approx 10 degrees at the junction on the shaft and the paddle head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

In the boards I've done, I've found it's very hard to close down every joint the whole length of the joint when you are curving and bending long strips into place. You just never seem to have enough clamps.

Would a vacuum bag work for glue up's of this nature?  I know you would need a long bag but it might solve the clamp shortage.

18 hours ago, Chet said:

Would a vacuum bag work for glue up's of this nature?  I know you would need a long bag but it might solve the clamp shortage.

Well I'm not sure, never used a vacuum bag but this is a cumbersome thing. Also the pieces/strips for the sides often need positioning after each sucessive clamp placement. So I may have a 5 ft strip, glue is applied to the strip, clamped in position at one end, other clamps to be used are lined up ready to go, next clamp placed, strip positioned, clamp snugged down. So on and so on, some strips may need 20 clamps. Often I'm bending the strip in 2 directions, around the board and to follow the sweep or curve of the board. 

If a vacumm bag could be used I like the idea of even uniform pressure from all directions that is offers.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

How does that angle improve usage over a straight blade? When you mentioned a bend, I was expecting it to be on axis perpendicular to what you show. 

Obviously, I don't live near the water....

I was wondering the same. Is this a tried and true or your design?