Virus Inspired Stand Up Paddleboard

Bmac

I'm in!

It is amazing how quickly SUPaddleboards have exploded onto the boating scene. It is similar to the sport of pack-rafting. In just a decade it has gone from seeing them occasionally to today where they are ubiquitous.

I have seen groups running rapids on the San Juan River, three days from civilization, with a raft for a support boat. There will be your normal inflatable raft with all the comforts of home on board, and a half dozen people on SUPs.

This is looking really cool! Couple of questions. How wide/thick will the edges be? As the paulownia is 11’ long and so is your board, will you be attempting to resaw it at 11’ or cut it into more manageable pieces? I have a feeling that will be answered in the next episode? 

I’ll be using pieces with the similar thickness as the decks. You can do a solid rail where you laminate multiple strips, or you can do a “hollow” rail where the strips are “stepped”. I’ll likely do a hollow rail as this won’t be a board used in the surf And a hollow rail makes the board lighter. The glassing adds a lot of strength to the board, something that is hard to appreciate until you actually glass something. 

• Like 1

In your 3rd and 4th pic in this series, it looks like you did a great job resawing and thicknessing the boards! In your clamp party pic, can we assume the sequence to be, glue the first piece to the frame, held down by the vertical clamps, then edge joint the second piece and glue it to the frame, let that dry, remove all clamps and repeat? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coop said:

In your 3rd and 4th pic in this series, it looks like you did a great job resawing and thicknessing the boards! In your clamp party pic, can we assume the sequence to be, glue the first piece to the frame, held down by the vertical clamps, then edge joint the second piece and glue it to the frame, let that dry, remove all clamps and repeat? 

Coop I had to he same question

7 hours ago, Coop said:

6 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Coop I had to he same question

Hope this answers your questions, I'm applying clamping pressure down to the frame with the vertical clamps. I was clamping at each rib. This might be excessive and thru my research I've seen guys use heavy bricks and etc to hold the boards down. It will be harder to clamp down the bottom deck because the top deck will prevent me from getting the clamp around the rib. If that doesn't make sense now I hope it will shortly when I start clamping the bottom deck. 

The horizontal clamps are used to just keep a little sideways pressure on the board to close up the joint. I actually don't need to use the sideways clamping pressure every glue up. The thin cedar piece was easy enough to push it against the adjacent board and the clamp down vertically to hold it in place. I'm really just trying to get a little glue squeeze out one the edge joints.

As for the sequence, I started with the middle decking board, centered over the vertical rib, or "stringer". Then alternate gluing the boards to eack side of the center board and so on. So you can see it's tedious, you need a lot of clamps, it makes you shop look like an unorganized mess, and you go through a lot of glue.

Did that answer your questions?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Bah! i want to make all of these. Is 32 too young to retire?

Bah your builds are so epic i love this so much. A SUP would get used a lot at our lake place.

Of course you can retire at 32, your $ for your habit may dry up though and you may lose your girl.:) Now if you can afford to retire at 32, you definitely did something right.

Now that you have your mill, you need to get your hands on a paulownia tree.

• Like 1

Looking good!  SUP's are big here.

To answer the sailing questions, it would sail just fine, but without a daggerboard, or centerboard (A daggerboard you poke down through a slot.  A centerboard pivots), you would have a hard time going upwind. Not being able to get upwind would make it hard to get back to where you came from. 

Back in the original Windsurfer days, when Pam and I were Master Instructors (we taught instructors how to teach), you had to pull the daggerboard out, and hang it on your arm, when going downwind in heavy air.  If you didn't pull it out, the board would roll over as the daggerboard lifted to the surface from high speed.

It would definitely be a light air board though.   We still have lots of sailboard equipment left over from the '80's, and a little newer stuff.

I didn't retire at 32, but we've played hard since before then.

• Like 2