Sticky Drawer Slides

I built a mission style end table a couple of years ago. The drawer sides are pine and the runners are QS White Oak. I applied Johnson paste wax to both the drawer side grooves and to the runners and it operated smooth as silk until recently, it started being sticky. I reapplied Johnson paste wax to the grooves and runners and it is still sticky and not smooth as before.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

2 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Well I think the old wax will have to come off either way. Once that is done I’d check the fit and if it seems good, meaning slides good but needs to slide smoother I would give Slip- it a try or reapply wax and see if you’re good to go

Thanks- I will try to remove the old wax and see what happens. I will report my findings back to this thread for future reference. Thanks for the advice 

Steve

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wimayo said:

Thanks Wimayo, but I’m sure I don’t have enough clearance to apply any type of tape to the rails. I spent hours fitting the rails to the slots to make a perfect fit. I do have a project next in line that will have two drawers that I will consider using a tape that you recommended.

Thanks for your recommendation.

I use Renaissance Wax for bare wood that stuff slides on, like stops in old windows.  It's very inert, but has silicone in it, so it really is slick, and stays slick for years.  I've never known it to become sticky.  I end up using it for more things than I can even remember.  It's not cheap, but is great stuff. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I use Renaissance Wax for bare wood that stuff slides on, like stops in old windows.  It's very inert, but has silicone in it, so it really is slick, and stays slick for years.  I've never known it to become sticky.  I end up using it for more things than I can even remember.  It's not cheap, but is great stuff. 

Thanks Tom for your  professional opinion. I will definitely look into the Renaissance wax for my next project.

I use parafin instead of wax - just an alternative that works for me.  Also, is it possible that, the drawer sides have cupped just a little.  If you had a really exact fit before, just a little bow or cup could cause your problem.  Good luck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve B Anderson said:

Thanks Wimayo, but I’m sure I don’t have enough clearance to apply any type of tape to the rails. I spent hours fitting the rails to the slots to make a perfect fit. I do have a project next in line that will have two drawers that I will consider using a tape that you recommended.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Did you check the thickness of the tape; 7 mil (.007"). For me, to get an almost permanent solution, I would be willing to shave a little if necessary.

• 3 months later...

Reporting back on my findings.

I pulled the table top off and removed the drawer. Apparently I had applied too much wax on the last application. Scraped off the old wax and rubbed the slides with a purple scotch brite pad and everything is good now.
I respect the wood movement issues that some of the responses suggested, but in my location in south central Texas, humidity is always present even in the winter so the movement is not as extreme as in other parts of the state or country.

Thanks for all the reply’s and the interest in helping me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chip you are correct about the weather here. It is hot and wet and cold and wet, humidity is just a part of life here. Even when there is no rain for 4-6 weeks during the deep summer months you can eat the air with a spoon.

Being born and raised here, you just learn how to deal with the weather. I didn’t have AC until I was 15 years old and during those early years I didn’t really need it. Now that I’m older I find myself searching for it everywhere I go. 
it’s really no difference than what our beloved members in the northern parts of the country go through. I see on the news people shoveling snow and clearing snow off of vehicles and think to myself, Wow, I’m glad I don’t have to go through that in the morning.
This is where they were born and raised and this is just a routine they have to go through. They are very proud of their state and towns they live in just like we are here in the Lone Star State.

• Like 2