need a angle grinder

duckkisser

I got my self a turbo plane so I bought a masterforce angle grinder haven’t had bad luck with those tools even if they are menards brand and little on the cheap side.  But after using it the switch would not turn off so I took it back to replace it.  The second one did the same so now I’m getting money back and buying a better tool.   Any reconditions on quality brands?

I got one of the cheap performax ones from menards. I think it was $17 on sale and it works well fr the few times I've used it. I think this is going to depend on budget though. Makita makes a really good grinder but they are expensive. I think milwaukee, dewalt, well all the major brands make a decent grinder.

What ever you decide I'd get one that has a switch that locks on so you don't have to hold the switch constantly. Doing power carving your going to be changing positions of the tool a lot and won't always want to have your finger holding the trigger.

I have a Makita 6" and a DeWalt 4.5" . They are both comparable in quality, performance, and such. I don't think you will be disappointed in either. And of course you can also use an angle grinder for metal projects.

Depending on how much carving you are going to do, you may consider a battery operated grinder.

It will not have as much torque and the battery life will limit the tool but I don't find that  a problem. Having no cord is super convenient.

I have two large toolboxes full of 4-1/2" side grinders, from really cheap ones, that I use with water hoses for masonry work, fully knowing they're not going to last, to name brand ones, and in between. 

The one I've been most impressed with is a Hitachi, that came from Lowes for 39.95.  It ran all day, every day, for several weeks running wire brushes for paint removal on an old house (yes, used supplied air).  It still runs smoothly.  I was in Lowes a while back, and they had a Metabo on sale for about the same price.  I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it looks almost exactly like that Hitachi.

My favorite of all is a Makita, simply because it not only runs smoothly, but has a smaller barrel, with not a completely round shape making it easily controllable, that fits in my hands nicely, and is probably the least tiring to use.

I have a Makita GA4530, so it's a 4.5" runs about 6 amps, and it has the on/off switch.  I've never used it for woodworking.... it's been metal and masonry.   But I really wish I had a paddle and not the on/off switch.  It's really important to turn the thing off when your shifting position, anytime you take your second hand off the grinder.   That's a lot easier with a paddle.   That's just me though.

Since you must have a Menards near by given you had a masterforce.   I would suggest the Metabo(formerly Hitachi).   Looks like it's on say for $59 with their 11% rebate...   And it's a paddle switch.   They ought to have one on display you can hold and see if you like the feel.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/power-tools/grinders/metabo-hpt-reg-7-4-amp-corded-4-1-2-paddle-switch-angle-grinder/g12sq2m/p-1553063441961-c-9075.htm

But angle grinders are really pretty simple, even the cheap ones usually work.   (All you had to do with that masterforce was yank the cord out of the wall when you were done. :-))  The big difference maybe how long they work for, and the convenience of where the power switch is and how comfortable it is to hold and such.