"Sedona"

Funny you should mention that, my wife was making inquires along the same lines as I was trying to find more room on the bookshelf. 

At first I wasn't too keen to part with any (it's still an issue), but I have more of them now.  In March I was planning to donate a piece to the fund raiser auction the American Assoc. of Woodturners scheduled for July.  Then someone highlighted "life as we know it" and hit the delete key.  

I have no illusion that selling would ever pay for the time I put in, but I am currious to know what any of these things would fetch.

• Like 1

A ritzy fundraiser or high end gallery would probably get you closest to earning your time back, but I’m sure it would be difficult, given the complexity of your pieces. 

I have enjoyed all of the projects you have shared, but this might be my favorite so far. Maybe one day I’d be able to make you an offer that isn’t insulting. 

• Thanks 1

I can't believe how you made a turned object look so angular. That alone is a feat worth mentioning. Most turned objects are rounded and curved so the contrast is awesome.

I can't imagine how expensive that block of wood must have been but the species looks great in that form. It adds a depth and texture to an elegantly simple object. I hate calling the object simple as I feel it detracts from the complexity and challenge it must have been to make it. The object isn't overly ornate and that's part of what makes it so good and probably difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I can't believe how you made a turned object look so angular. That alone is a feat worth mentioning. Most turned objects are rounded and curved so the contrast is awesome.

It really is the simplest of forms.  Basically a "V", or two "V's" in cross section.  I just made the basin flat and the upright element flat. 

1265301487_Sedona32crosssection.thumb.jpg.538a5d90522dd2f982f4837990544a48.jpg

Aesthetically I wanted to make the apex of the V more acute, but there is a physical limit to how narrow I can go, and sanding is also a challenge.  There were other physical considerations that dictated the direction of the apex, too.  

The turned piece is really sections of two cones.  The square-ness of the block is then superimposed and accentuated by cutting back the sides and this, I think, adds to the angularity.  

_DEA3032.thumb.JPG.d6c854dc0f48788a99c4c481f11db105.JPG

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I can't imagine how expensive that block of wood must have been...

Yeah, let's not talk about that.  I don't have self restraint when it comes to wood that's more than 16/4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1