Finally Reorganizing My Shop

Robby W

That's a nice machine, and a very nice stand! You mentioned wheel chocks, which reminded me of a clever solution I saw Mattias Wandell using. Rather than install casters on every stand, he used a 'piano dolly' platform on wheels. He constucted his tables / stands such the the bottom stretcher was about 1" higher than the dolly. A pair of L-shaped levers were used to raise the item on the dolly for moving. Here is one example:

• Like 2

Another piece of reorganization I did was to figure out a better clamp rack. My shop is short on wall space.One wall stops 10 feet short of the next (it divides 2 garage bays from the third). Another wall is taken up by the garage door, which I need to open when I am doing rip cuts on my saw. Since I live in the San Diego area, I can count of about 300 days of sunshine, which makes putting my saw against the garage door practical. I use quite a bit of sheet goods, so this works for me.

My former clamp rack consisted of one rack that was 8 feet long and another that was 4 feet long. I had my collection of pipe, F-style clamps and Quick Clamps on them. One thing I hated was that when you took down a clamp, you frequently started a landslide of adjacent clamps. That got old quick.

I built a new rack that consisted of a plywood backing board, with holders that come out from the wall to hold many clamps on each screwed to the board. I had to move a couple of conduits to fit everything in, but that wasn't too difficult.

The holders were just a simple piece of 6/4 scrap and two arms from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood that are set into dadoes on the sides of the block. The 6/4 piece is screwed to the backboard and clamps placed between the two arms. I can get eight 3/4" pipe clamps or up to 15 F-style clamps on each one. I made a light duty version and a heavy duty version. I am able to store the 80 clamps I have now with room for another dozen, plus I can expand it sideways into the room next to my tool cabinet. It only takes up 3 feet of wall space, a saving of 9 feet.

1837832_ClampRack7-17-20.thumb.jpg.610128e0adc48cc0388f25d2e67895a0.jpg

I also have a bunch of spring clamps which I keep clipped to the side of my power tool cabinet. There are a bunch of small spring clamps stuck all over the place, but they don't get in the way. I think it gives my shop character...:rolleyes:

1160228702_ClampsonToolCabinet7-17-20.thumb.jpg.4655dcc4d869a5e29d500469920e3126.jpg

This weekend, I hope to finish up the dust collection system and get it functioning again. I am going to have some fun cleaning up the filter. It is packed solid. When I talked to Mr. Wynn, it was the filter he recommended. I don't think he understood how I was going to use it before I installed the cyclone. I notice there is a warning not to use it with a single stage duct collection on his website now.

I am not looking forward to this task.

Dust Collector Packed Filter 7-17-20.jpg

Robby, assuming you can remove it, I put mine in a large plastic bag and tap the outside of it to remove as much as possible. Then, I reach inside the filter and close the bag as much as possible around my arm and flick the pleats as I rotate the filter. Hard to explain but once you try it, hopefully it’s better understood. A cotton glove on your hand helps, your hand, not the cleaning. 

• Like 1

I have a Laguna P-Flux with a similar pleated canister filter.  Laguna's recommendation for cleaning that filter is to blow out with compressed air and vibrate the outside of the canister using a quarter sheet sander (w/o sand paper).  

I didn't have a quarter sheet sander so I used a ROS, which doesn't vibrate as much.  But the process did work, and well enough that I picked up a sander at a garage sale for future use.  

You might try the "vibrator" with Coop's plastic bag.  I seem to recall someone using a leaf blower on the inside, too.  

• Like 1

For cleaning the filter think high volume low pressure like a a leaf blower. I'd take it outside before a rainstorm is going to roll through (looking where you live you probably don't get many of those) and then blow through the filter with the leaf blower. I really need to do this with my filter stack. I try and do this annually.

If you use compressed air to get some of the packed material out of the pleats blow from the outside in.

@Chestnut , so you use the leaf blower to move air through the filter from out to in?  When I tried the leaf blower I used it on the inside of the filter with the air flow parellel to and along the pleats.  This was reasonably effective, it just took repeated applications.  

The beauty of the vibrator idea was that I was able do a passable job of cleaning the filter without actually removing it and taking it ouside.  Getting the filter reinstalled on the P-Flux is a super PITA.  

Robby, since a rainstorm won't be imminent, just tell your neighbors it's a Saharan dust cloud.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mark J said:

When I tried the leaf blower I used it on the inside of the filter with the air flow parellel to and along the pleats.  This was reasonably effective, it just took repeated applications.

I applied the leaf blower the same way you did. in the top out the bottom parallel to the pleats.

From the outside to the inside compressed air is really the best way to go.

Keep in mind, with some of the filters, they have some seasoning where they filter material needs to get filled with sawdust before they operate at peak removal. So you aren't trying to get the filter clean. Your main goal is to remove the "excess" sawdust built up in between the pleats. IMO A more frequen, gentle cleaning is more effective than letting it go too long and having to do a more extensive job that could damage the filter.

• Thanks 1

In addition to tweaking the pleats on a quarterly basis, depending on use, I give the filter a medium tap on the outside while in place, top to bottom. I know it’s time for a major cleaning when the clear plastic bag looks like it will explode. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With the heat and humidity finally over the worst of it for the year (yes, even here near San Diego, it can get hot and we get the monsoon humidity from Baja Mexico), I made some progress on my shop redo. At the end of the last post, I left off with the blower connected to the cyclone, so the next step was to create something that would allow me to connect the 13" x 39" Wynn filter to the blower. The filter had a rectangular base with gasket on it, so I had to make something that would accommodate a sealing surface for the gasket and hold the filter in place, while making it easy to remove the filter to clean it. It also needed something to allow the air to turn the corner into the filter. The fines collection bag would be held in place on the end of the filter using a worm clamp strap for now. I also had to hold the filter far enough from the wall to miss the big elbow for the ductwork. Here is a picture of the plenum box on my tablesaw. It will be mounted with the filter hanging down.

744883695_DustCollectorPlenumBoxonTablesaw10-26-20.thumb.jpg.58331b43d37324c0aa14a48472b3c1fc.jpg

The hole in the side is where the hose from the blower will attach. Inside the plenum are a couple of dividers and an angled piece to direct the air downward. I added a cover that can be removed if necessary for maintenance.

167645209_DustCollectorPlenumInsideView10-26-20.thumb.jpg.4214c18f372afec583398637af2be110.jpg

To attach the filter, I created a pocket that it slides into. A clamping piece in the from allows a full squeeze on the filter base and gasket. If the knobs are loosened and the front piece removed, the top falls down enough to easily slip the filter out for maintenance. It only takes a minute or so to remove or replace it.

1398120885_DustCollector-FilterClamp10-26-20.thumb.jpg.073bfb8d2e53b885d0e284de04db8091.jpg

Last step was to connect everything, build a dust bin and put a door on the collection  box. I use the ear shaped latches for windows to hold the door in place. It took some fussing to get things right with the gaskets in place.

507545485_DustCollector-DustBinDoor10-26-20.thumb.jpg.a7049ed876cd261d2b78e7c871fdde1a.jpg

(Yes, I know. Paint the house next......).

1625883414_DustCollector-FinalSetup10-26-20.thumb.jpg.c6abeacd803c1abb9f178ef76db259dd.jpg

For the first fire-up, I left the fines bag off so the filter wouldn't clog. I took the blade off my tablesaw, turned the DC breaker on and fired things up. At first, it wasn't moving much air. I opened another gate and got great suction, so it wasn't the DC. A quick check into my tablesaw showed a bunch of dust in the funnel that collects everything from cutting while I was reworking the DC. I vacuumed most of it out and tried again. Viola! Lots of air flow. After installing the fines bag, test rip kept my face sawdust free. The filter is working well as the fines bag barely inflated. It is really good to have my DC working again. Now I have to figure out what to do with my old filter bags..... One of them is a replacement 1 micron bag that actually worked pretty well for over 10 years.

Does anyone have any ideas or preferences for a dust bin level indicator? I am thinking about using the Oneida infrared unit. It's price has sure gone up since I first looked at it.

Next up is to start rearranging things. Thanks for watching.

• Like 1