Woodoodworking Webinars

pkinneb

Anyone attended any good woodworking webinars?

I have been going to the Fine Woodworking ones (free) last nights on spoke shaves was really informative. I also attended one Philip Morley did via the Austin School of Woodworking ($25) on how to shape the edge of wood like he does in his work, very good. Finally I have been to two from Imagine Grove (Scott) with two more scheduled ($5 ea) all on veneering. This one has had some technical glitches but the content has been really good.

Post up any others you guys are seeing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I also attended one Philip Morley did via the Austin School of Woodworking ($25) on how to shape the edge of wood like he does in his work, very good.

I wish I would have seen that one.  I have always been interested in his sanding techniques for that stuff because he always maintains a crisp looking edge even after sanding.  Did he cover that?

I am taking Matt Kinney's class on box building also from Austin School.  It starts on the 23 of August.  I know most of his techniques as far as construction through looking at a bunch of his photos but I want to see his whole process top to bottom.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I wish I would have seen that one.  I have always been interested in his sanding techniques for that stuff because he always maintains a crisp looking edge even after sanding.  Did he cover that?

I am taking Matt Kinney's class on box building also from Austin School.  It starts on the 23 of August.  I know most of his techniques as far as construction through looking at a bunch of his photos but I want to see his whole process top to bottom.

It was well worth the $25. He did he uses a combination of a shinto rasp, hand plane, Preppin weapons sanding blocks and sandpaper backed with thin cardboard.

I wanted to take that one as well but my wife said not on the wedding weekend :(

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I wanted to take that one as well but my wife said not on the wedding weekend :(

Wow, that's pretty short sighted of her.  Did you remind her that you cleaned the pool for her earlier in the summer. :P

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Coop said:

So webinars are live and not something you can purchase anytime? 

That is typically the case when the term "webinar" is used. On-demand classes will usually be refered to as online classes or courses.

Although, some folks do record the webinar event, and post it as an on-demand class afterward.

• Like 1

For the past few months, I've been watching videos from Tom McLaughlin at Epic Woodworking.  He does a live show every Thursday evening at 8:00 pm Eastern - "Shop Night Live."  These are generally 60-90 minutes, focused on a stand-alone topic - tools, techniques, etc. - but he's also done some as a "series."  For example, he has a series on designing furniture.  He takes questions during the live session, but also posts the videos on his web site, where they can be viewed for free:  https://www.epicwoodworking.com/videos/

With the pandemic shutting down his face-to-face classes, he has also done several live "build series," where he walks through a complete project.  He's done a Craftsman coffee table, a Shaker end table and a shop stool.  For the build series, he does two or three live sessions per week - Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and/or Saturday morning.  The live build series are available to view on-demand for free, and he has others for purchase:  https://www.epicwoodworking.com/learn/

There are drawings available, for purchase, for each of the projects.

There's a new live build series that I believe is starting Tuesday, August 25 - it's a bed frame.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2020 at 8:32 PM, pkinneb said:

Thanks for the links. I don’t have any plans on doing marquetry any time soon but for $5 it’s definitely worth watching. 

• Like 1