an ordinary Sunset

Tom King

Lime is an excellent neutrilizer for soil.  It brings most soils back to around a 7.0 Ph, and there's not much in plants that don't thrive in a 7.0 Ph. On a space like that, I'd top dress it completely just before a rain, That way you don't need to used treated water.  Mama Nature does know how to do the job.

• Like 1

I put lime down to start with.  You can put a ton of lime per acre every year here.

The main trouble is the ground is so hard, and not really flat anywhere.  Water just runs off right now.  In getting out all the Pine trees, Sweet Gums, and other trees to open it up, when leveling the ground back out, we lost a lot of the topsoil.

I don't want to break it up again, because it's full of small rocks.  I hand raked the whole thing about an inch deep, so surface rocks are not a problem now. 

I think the simplest thing is to top dress it.  I have decades of piles of old, composted horse manure.  The plan is to mix that with a couple of truckloads of sand, and use that mixture for top dressing.  I did some experimental spots, and they couldn't be better.  Really don't want to put a lot of chemical fertilizer on it, being right here at the lake, and being sure a lot of it would just run in the water.  There are many that do that, but I don't want to be one of them.

We're probably going to put in a sprinkler system, but I'd like to get the grass, and ground level established first.  The water will just be pumped out of the lake.

• Like 1

What a view! Nice place to live. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-PowerLever-1-1-8-in-Cut-Capacity-Steel-Saw-Blade-15-in-Fiberglass-Pole-14-ft-Tree-Pruner-393981-1002/300412758 Would this help you? This is used around here a lot especially for high up palm fronds and coconuts. Add a 10' ladder for the high ones.

Thanks, but I have all sorts of pro tree work stuff.  I was thinking about something really lightweight, with a sharp knife blade.  The saws work really good, but the suckers are so small, and tender that a sharp blade would slice them right off, and be multiple times faster than handling those types of poles.  I have the trees limbed up to 25 feet high on the larger trees.  The suckers are just new growth.  

Here's a view of the whole point.  It's about 2 acres with something over 1200 feet of shoreline.

I haven't limbed up the trees on the hill yet, but plan to open up that view this Winter.  I've mainly been working on the point.

IMG_2535.thumb.JPG.e1e79701d38311ea2768da829999b330.JPGIMG_2596.thumb.JPG.7c5cb4c9cc277c7bd15caf784ed020a3.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

• Like 2

Maybe next season.  That house can sleep 16, plus we'll have some RV hookups.  I was planning on starting on a boat house, and dock this Fall, but lumber prices are so high, I'll wait a while. 

We were hoping to get some income from that house by renting it this past Summer, but the virus took that out.  We just didn't want to deal with groups.  It wouldn't have been ready anyway.  Hopefully, it'll be ready next year.

I called my favorite building supplier, before I realized things had gone crazy with materials, to order a bundle of no.1 decking boards.  I was intending to sticker them, so they could dry out some before I needed them, for the dock.  He told me they couldn't even get them, and if they could, I wouldn't want to pay the price.  I forget what the price was, if I could get the bundle, but he was right about the price.

Probably was partially a labor shortage but the demand also spiked. With everyone at home, cramped and staring out at their backyard decided to redo their decks. Throw in people saving money not commuting to work, stimulus money, tax refund time, daycare if you had kids etc. and some people had a lot more disposable income.

We luckily got ours built in April and the lumber supplier was offering a discount. My nextdoor neighbor did his deck in June/July and couldn't get boards. Ended up having to put 2x8s down, not normal deck top boards.

Good time to start a pressure washing and staining business. Speaking of which, I need to go do some research on deck sealer and find a good week to do it.

Edited by legenddc
clarified one point.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't remember when I first posted this thread, but already, the Sun is setting about 30 degrees along the horizon different than it was then.  It drops below the horizon straight off the end of the point now.   I thought it might be a spectacular one this evening, but it turned out to be pretty standard.

IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

• Like 2