Finally got a chance to get a low angle jack

Robby W

The North Pole Express delivery service dropped off a couple gift cards, giving me enough to get the low angle jack plane I have been wanting.

The issue is that I can't decide between the Lie-Nielsen and the Veritas planes. I was able to try the Lie-Nielsen at their hand tool event at Palomar College in February, but I haven't seen the Veritas. I am very happy with my Lie-Nielsen planes and like my Veritas shoulder and block planes too. All of them are beautifully machined and perform well. 

I will be using the plane for both shooting edges and general work. The only difference I can figure out is the PMV-11 blade vs A2, but I can't say that I expect that to be a big issue.

Anybody have an opinion or guidance?

I prefer LN over Veritas just because I like that they use a domestic hardwood for the knob and tote instead of some imported exotic wood.

I also do not really care for the Veritas Norris adjuster, but I'm not a fan of BU planes altogether so take that with a grain of salt.

PMV-11 is a nice metal and works well. That said the A2 in my LN plane goes a LONG time between sharpening and doesn't seem any harder to sharpen so i'd put them near even. Unless your a metallurgist or sharpening once a week i don't see much difference.

• Like 1

Thank you, @Tpt life for sending me down that rabbit hole! :P I ended up watching a half dozen of his videos. But he does make some valid points. Hmmmm. Thanks also to those that chimed in.

It looks like the main pro of the Veritas plane is the mouth stop, which I have to admit is pretty nifty. The main pro of the Lie-Neilsen is the better tote shape and angle. I am pretty sure that the lateral setting of the blade won't be a bit issue, because if it is so far out of square that I can't adjust it with the minimal adjustment range of the L-N plane, then it needs grinding anyway.

Can you adjust the depth of cut without taking your hand off the tote on either plane?

1 hour ago, Robby W said:

Can you adjust the depth of cut without taking your hand off the tote on either plane?

It can be done but it's not as easy as with conventional planes. You need to fine tune the pressure on your lever cap in order to do that, without tightening it to much. Now the lever cap will become loose over time, especially after retracting the blade... And that sucks.

I've driven both and others.  The Veritas LAJ has it hands down for me.  If your plane stable is a little thin the LAJ will shoot, joint and smooth.  Having an extra iron or two at different angles gives it multiple personalities.  Lie Nielsen make a wonderful product.  I prefer the features on the Veritas for most things.  The LAJ, BU jointer and smoother and their shoulder planes fit my hands like no others.  For a No.4 or a No.5 I just picked up a used Millers Falls, tuned them up and put Veritas irons and chip breaker sets in them; very happy.