Sheet Goods Corral

gee-dub

It looks pretty nice @gee-dub. I tried a similar cart years ago and I found that a dozen sheets can get really heavy, especially if you have melamine/particle board and MDF in it. One day, I went to move it and the casters failed, which turned me off to the design. Maybe the newer casters will hold up better.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, Robby W said:

It looks pretty nice @gee-dub. I tried a similar cart years ago and I found that a dozen sheets can get really heavy, especially if you have melamine/particle board and MDF in it. One day, I went to move it and the casters failed, which turned me off to the design. Maybe the newer casters will hold up better.

+1

Metal casters are good. I have found that with heavy static loads, the rubber casters and some of the cheaper urethane casters either go flat or fail altogether. Surprisingly, I have found that some of the better casters at Harbor Freight work better than many. 

I wanted something like this in my shop. I just don't have the space. My shop has a decent square footage but it's mostly accounted for. Post back after 6 months of use if you remember it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts after working with the cart for a while. I also have a pretty decent spot to store ply so my motivation to move things around to make space for a cart has so far been low.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, BillyJack said:

Shop projects or other, it's about having fun...

Wise words.  LOML is always reminding me that I am retired, I'm supposed to be having fun.  I mostly do have fun but catch myself falling into the habits of a lifetime of working for a living.  I have a living room, dining room, and bedroom to furnish.  That along with the remodeling we have planned and stuff for the yards ought to keep me busy till I run out of steam :D.

• Like 1