Resaw vs thickness planner

Woodworking_Hobby

I am starting some projects and was wondering if many folks resaw their thicker boards down to try and save some lumber for future projects or to just save time at the thickness planer?  I was not sure if the boards would bow or cup a lot after resawing and if it would not save much effort after fixing the boards.  I Was wondering if I would be better off just making extra saw dust at the jointer. It is nothing special just some 8/4 hard maple that I am using for some projects that I only need the final dimensions around 1-inch so I have some room to work with on the thickness. 

So it somewhat depends on the width of the board. a 12" wide 8/4 that is re sawn is both a difficult resaw and poses a bit more risk of movement just because of the wider board.

In your situation where I had 8/4 and needed 1" finished, i would resaw the board to save the time on the planer as well as minimize saw dust that i have to carry out the door. In your situation you'll be left with an offcut that is the 1/2" range. That is a board that will get used rather quickly in my shop. That's a good thickness for drawers or door panels or could even be sliced up for edge banding. Lots of opportunities there.

A big note here is I would always try, if possible to cut the 8/4 material down to project part size to minimize movement as well as make the resaw easier. I also aim to split the 8/4 board in half so both parts are useable. Depending if you got the 8/4 rough or surfaced. I can get 2 7/8" pieces out of an 8/4 rough board. Something surfaced is a bit harder and i'll usually be a hiar under 3/4". It's very common for me to adjust my designs to fit my material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 8:36 AM, legenddc said:

Unless it was some unique board you had to use or hard to come by, I would just try to buy one closer to the correct size. If you have a well tuned up bandsaw and could cut it like Chestnut said, that would be my second choice. 

X2