Fixing a leg

collinb

We picked up some Pennsylvania House cherry chairs. Wife likes them. But one broke with a mistaken move. I can’t find the same chair nearby so I am tasked with fixing it if possible. My thought is to notch the leg and glue in a block. Reinforced with small dowels or something. 

1. How might you do it?

2. Is it worth the effort?

82A44284-8C1F-41A7-8B0D-421D25C1701A.jpeg

DE54FA68-16E1-499B-A172-21B3DB738BCE.jpeg

On 4/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, Gary Beasley said:

That leg looks basically like flatwork. Find a suitable cherry plank and trace the outline, cut it out and rout the contours. Hard part would be drilling matching dowel holes. I think what weakened it was too many holes too close together, not a great design.

Cherry is by nature quite brittle. I considered cutting the offended part flat and adding a bevel into the main part of the leg and filling with a block accordingly. Epoxying it in rather than gluing. But I really didn't want to try to match the finish. It's like a walnut stain on cherry. I'd probably use a sander to match the contours instead of a router.

Aligning the dowels wouldn't be too difficult.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:55 AM, Gary Beasley said:

That leg looks basically like flatwork. Find a suitable cherry plank and trace the outline, cut it out and rout the contours. Hard part would be drilling matching dowel holes. I think what weakened it was too many holes too close together, not a great design.

I was about ready to write the same thing. Make a new leg and then try to spread out the spacing on all of those dowels if you can. I wonder if you could make a mortise and tenon on one side and dowels on the other. That might be stronger. It doesn't appear that the legs have any rungs further down to provide reinforcement. Lots of stress on that joint.