I’m liking rare earth magnets

collinb

A couple years ago I made this open entry closet. But that tall door is moving. (I know, it’s the even-layer count issue.) Today’s compensation is to use a rare earth magnet to hold the door closed. It stands just a little proud of the door surface as it contacts a screw in the frame. I may put a piece of edge banding over the screw head … but maybe not.

44569ADD-AA38-4825-A034-26FB6C213B3C.jpeg

844A4E5A-CB60-4154-963B-D8B0914B49B9.jpeg

4B07D8FC-E2D3-4EBA-9F6E-1F70ADC510A7.jpeg

BA6AE111-8CDA-4EBE-8F94-6337195A705B.jpeg

• Like 1

I loooove rare earth magnets. Most of my door latches use the. I use them to hold things in place. I have one in my brush I use to sweep chips up with. I even use them to hold my plans/notes up on the dust pickup overarm. Great stuff.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Any good places to order them from?  Or what to look for when you order them? 

Like Just Bob says, K&J is an excellent source.  Magcraft is another resource, http://www.magcraft.com/.   I have also found them at True Value.

But a lot of times I've "harvested" perfectly good magnets from old eyeglass cases and such.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

But a lot of times I've "harvested" perfectly good magnets from old eyeglass cases and such.

Old hard drives are another great source.  Those magnets are kidney shaped, which may limit their use, but they are great for hanging tools in the shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1