DW 735 maintenance

Woodworking_Hobby

Does anyone have any rules of thumb on when you should turn the blade inserts on a helical head for a DW 735?  I have not really kept track of how much I have ran through and still seems to cut fine but maybe I am playing with fire. Any other general maintenance folks do to keep it running in top shape. Really have only had to clean it and replace the belt once so far. 

If you're using the DeWalt blades, they have a much shorter life span than blades from Infinity.com.   DeWalt blades can be honed once and maybe twice, then you'll need to replace them.  The Infinity blade can be honed 6 to 8 times, then they to will need to be replaced.  The cost difference isn't that much, you'll have to determine when change needs to take place.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 5:36 PM, RichardA said:

If you're using the DeWalt blades, they have a much shorter life span than blades from Infinity.com.   DeWalt blades can be honed once and maybe twice, then you'll need to replace them.  The Infinity blade can be honed 6 to 8 times, then they to will need to be replaced.  The cost difference isn't that much, you'll have to determine when change needs to take place.

OP has a helical head, not straight blades. 

7 hours ago, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Does anyone have any rules of thumb on when you should turn the blade inserts on a helical head for a DW 735?  I have not really kept track of how much I have ran through and still seems to cut fine but maybe I am playing with fire. Any other general maintenance folks do to keep it running in top shape. Really have only had to clean it and replace the belt once so far. 

I have had the shelix head for 9yrs.  Have not rotated the cutters yet.  Replaced the belt twice.  

On 5/21/2022 at 10:29 PM, Just Bob said:

I have had the shelix head for 9yrs.  Have not rotated the cutters yet.  Replaced the belt twice.  

I vote that it’s time to rotate and get back to us with a smile on your face!

• Haha 1

If the surface looks burnished it's probably time to rotate. It takes a LOT of material though. I probably run 500-750 BF through my shop a year in projects and it's been 5 years on my jointer and I'm just now thinking I need to rotate. Planer is 3 years and still cutting well.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I think you are the first person I have heard say they used the cutters enough to see wear marks,

I've ran enough through my jointer to see wear marks. The little bit closest to the fence that I joint edges on leaves an almost burnished surface.

• Like 1